The Farscape Dairies - Reflections from an Aussie Perspective

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6679
    Geek-Cred : 56

Re: The Farscape Dairies - Reflections from an Aussie Perspective

Post  Paeter on April 30th 2018, 9:50 am

AdamCollings wrote:

Do you see Stark as having mental illness?

Oh absolutely. But I'm not sure having a deeper appreciation for mental health issues would help me like him more, because his mental health isn't really what annoys me. I think it's that his mental health is played for comedy far more than for drama.

The first time we see him, in the cell with John, he is actually kinda scary. I'm thinking, holy crap, who is this guy? It was like he could attack John at any given moment. He felt threatening. I was interested!

But now, as he is played for comedy, and almost never makes me laugh, he is basically like a walking, talking dud joke that only causes problems.

Don't get me wrong, he still has some moments I like. But on the whole it's the "comic relief" aspect of Stark I have trouble with.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Activity : 879
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  AdamCollings on April 30th 2018, 6:20 pm

Right.
    I haven't been laughing at the Stark stuff either. In fact, I'm not sure I was even aware that I was *supposed* to laugh at it. LOL.
    You're totally right. Playing that stuff for laughs actually borders on offensive.
    Ok. I'll admit, there was a moment in season three where they did a callback to "my side, your side" in a different context. I did chuckle briefly at that. It was a chuckle of remembering. Ah, they're calling back to that really intense moment.
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on April 30th 2018, 6:28 pm

In other news, I watched the "Poo and Spew" episode last night (Lava's a Many Splendored Thing). Wow. Farscape does toilet humour like nothing I've ever seen before.
    Just imagine tuning into this episode as your first experience of Farscape. I think it's taken them three years to truly earn this episode. This show really is going "where no one has gone before."
    I told my wife that I'd just watched an episode where the driving plot point was that Rygel had to do a poo, really bad. She just looked at me and said "Really?"

I'm laughing, not so much at the toilet humour, but the fact that they were bold enough to do it. But that line right at the end "You're free to go, as long as you take him with you" was pretty amusing.
    Of course I'm also deeply haunted by the scene where Chianna tasted D'Argos vomit. I'll definitely be looking away from that when I'm re-watching this episode someday in the future.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 1st 2018, 8:48 am

AdamCollings wrote:
    Of course I'm also deeply haunted by the scene where Chianna tasted D'Argos vomit. I'll definitely be looking away from that when I'm re-watching this episode someday in the future.

Yeah, I think this ep was about as far as they went with body fluid humor. I'm not especially drawn to it, but I was definitely impressed that they would go there and spent time both squirming and smiling while shaking my head.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 21st 2018, 5:36 am

The moment has come. I'm about to watch the final regular episode of Farscape.
    It's a little bit of a sad moment.

I'll probably not launch into The Peacekeep Wars tonight, out of respect for the 2 years Peater had to wait Wink
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 21st 2018, 11:20 am

AdamCollings wrote:The moment has come. I'm about to watch the final regular episode of Farscape.
    It's a little bit of a sad moment.

I'll probably not launch into The Peacekeep Wars tonight, out of respect for the 2 years Peater had to wait Wink

Mmm. That's thoughtful of you.

lol!

Hope you "enjoy" that episode ending and then the miniseries that wraps it all up!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 21st 2018, 7:48 pm

Wow.

That was a great episode. It's funny, but if they'd cut out the last 20 seconds, that episode would have really worked as a finale. It resolved the remaining primary conflict (the fate of Earth. John ultimately doesn't care who has wormholes, as long as Earth is safe). It beautifully provided closure for John's relationship with his dad, as he has that heart-wrenching farewell. It allows John to finally make his choice between Earth and Aeryn, and even gives him and Aeryen a happily ever after.

If I'd been in charge, given they knew by the time they were doing post-production, I'd have been tempted to cut the cliffhanger and let the episode serve as an ending the story. But glad they had more faith than that and kept fighting.

And that cliffhanger. That was a hard place to leave it. No wonder the fans fought so hard to save the show. It was pretty shocking. Another of those "How are they ever going to resolve this" type moments. But D'Argo's scream. That was so well acted. It broke me. Seeing them dissolve was shocking, but part of me thought "They'll bring them back somehow. They're not gonna kill off John and Arryn" But the way D'Argo reacted to it sold it to me, and really affected me.  Sad
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 22nd 2018, 8:35 am

AdamCollings wrote: But D'Argo's scream. That was so well acted. It broke me.

Totally. Anthony Simcoe just MADE that moment. Totally wrecked me, too.

As for ditching the last 20 seconds, I actually too the time to do a sloppy VHS re-edit of that episode so that the credits jump in just before we see any indication of the alien attack ship.

But it didn't make me feel better. I still knew what "really" happened.

It was at least 6-12 months before we had indication that a miniseries would be made. During that time the unresolved cliffhanger put such a sour note on all of my thoughts of the series. I don't know if I would have watched it all through ever again if they hadn't fixed that. (The ending of Battlestar Galactica has kept me from doing near as many complete viewings, despite that show once being a second to Farscape in my mind.)

Okay, if you haven't started watching the mini-series by now you've MORE than "earned" it. Go watch and I hope you enjoy the big conclusion to this unique and amazing show!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 22nd 2018, 6:27 pm

I watched the first part of Peacekeeper Wars last night. Will likely watch the second tonight. Interestingly, my box set comes with 5 discs all labeled Peacekeeper Wars. Not sure what that's about.

Thoughts on season 4 as a whole. Bit of a rocky start. A lot of the early stuff didn't make much sense to me and I'm not sure I ever fully understood the wormhole that took Moya at the end of season 3. But What Was Lost did some intruiging foreshadowing and teasing of stuff I wanted to be further explored.

Things really picked up with Unrealised Reality. (after taking on another fun sci-fi trop in I Shrink Therefore I am)
    I kinda like that John found his way back to Earth before the story ended. I wish they'd done that with Voyager. That show could have used around 4 or 5 episodes dealing with the fallout of Voyager's return to Federation space, the fate of the Maquis etc. Then a big finale where Voyager's experiences in the Delta Quadrant help them overcome some great threat. But I digress....

Mental As Anything was a POWERFUL episode. One of the best of the entire show. It really blurred the edges of what we thought was a black and white issue.

Then bringing home the bacon launches a great arc to round out the season. Some really great moments there. Dealing with reasonably epic stuff, but still very personal stakes.

As you say, season 3 was the best, but season 4 had some great stuff, not the least of which was that finale.
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 22nd 2018, 6:29 pm

And now, on a fun note, having watched through 99% of the show, I have a much greater appreciate of, and fondness for, the Farscape parody/homage that Stargate SG-1 did in their 200th episode.

Have you seen it?

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 23rd 2018, 10:09 am

Oh yeah, that's great stuff. Bittersweet, though. Especially when the writer tells her to go more obscure and then responds to her follow-up suggestion (spoofing Farscape) saying "Okay, you got me. I have no idea what that is."

Sigh.

If there weren't so many people who had no idea what Farscape was we might have gotten 7 or 8 seasons instead of just 4.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 23rd 2018, 6:32 pm

Yes. You're right. I think it was their subtle way of saying the show deserved more attention that it got. The writers also acknowledge Firefly in a similar way, with the plot of that episode.

What's equally sad is, as Anthony says in the special feature interviews, the show was pretty much unheard of in Australia. Aussie network never had any respect for sci-fi. I think season 1 was shown at a decent time, but after that, it was relegated to the forgotten corners of late night, along with all other sci-fi. I don't even know if season 3 and 4 were ever broadcast. I noticed that the Channel 9 logo was dropped from the credits from season 2 onwards. I'm wondering if there was some kind of falling out and the network withdrew their support, or something.
    Unfortunately, I have to share some of the blame, as I didn't support the show. I wrote it off too early.

On a more positive note, Wikipedia suggests that there is a movie in early stages of development.
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 24th 2018, 12:05 am

Funny thing. I mentioned a while back that I thought I recognised Jool as being played by an actor from a cop show called Water Rats, but I was wrong.
    Turns out, the actor I was thinking of was actually Relee Hill who went on to play Sekozu.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 24th 2018, 8:33 am

AdamCollings wrote:

On a more positive note, Wikipedia suggests that there is a movie in early stages of development.

That's been "in development" for years. In fact it was the original reason I did my Farscape commentaries, because it really looked like it was moving forward at the time. At this point I'm kind of done getting my hopes up unless something really concrete starts happening.

Although that does remind me I haven't finished reading the Farscape comics. They pick up the story right after the miniseries ends and have been established as canon, should another movie or series be made that continues the Farscape continuity. Not that they would actually be referenced at all, but it's still nice to know they are canon and SOME form of more Farscape.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 24th 2018, 8:34 am

Soooo... did you finish the miniseries yet? What did you think?

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 27th 2018, 8:08 pm

Ok. Wanted to say one more thing about season 4. What they did with Scorpius was interesting. I liked John's comment "Why do all you bad guys end up hitching a ride with us" or something like that. The show is very self-aware. It all played out very differently than Crais. Anyway, created a very interesting dynamic.

Ok. The miniseries!

Very well done, and a fitting end to the series.
    I was glad they picked up the Eidelon plot. Not that those episodes were great, but they raised some stuff that I wanted further explored. We finally learn the truth about the similarity between Sebeceans and Humans. Sebaceans were taken from earth thousands of years ago and artificially evolved. I love the concept how the Peacekeepers were originally founded as a good thing, but without the Eidelons to guide them, they became the menace they are today. The one element that was not explained, was the question of how Jool's people fit in. They are supposedely "related to humans" I really wanted that to be explained, and was disappointed that it wasn't.

Jool's death made me feel something, but not with the intensity of other character deaths.

The baby getting transferred from Aeyrn to Rygel. Pretty funny. A good way to keep Rygel important in the story, but ultimately a mirror of what DS9 did with Kira.

Very action-packed second part. Very intense gunfight. Aeryn trying to shoot the enemy before, during and after giving birth was hilarious. Not overly realistic, but definitely consistent with her character.

Nice to see Joffee again. Nice to see he's grown up a bit. Especially nice to see him and D'Argo talk about their issues with each other and resolve some stuff.

and D'Argo's death. I didn't believe it the first time. They wouldn't let such a beloved character just go like that. But the second time. Whew.
    I liked the final goodbye with John. They've come a long way, from "We'll never be friends, will we?" to "You're the best friend I've ever had." Powerful stuff.
    It was sad to see him die, but a fitting end for him. The saddest part was he wouldn't get to live his happily ever after, as a farmer on Hyneria. Even Chianna had agreed to go with him (although I wonder how long she would have been able to keep her word, before she was lured by the excitement of seeking new adventure, and new lovers).

The end to the whole conflict was pretty epic. I liked how at the climax, the conflict was resolved through peace (Even peace at the barrel of a wormhole). I got some Star Trek feels from that.

I wasn't surprised when they reversed the supposed death of John. It kept me on the edge of my seat, though. Nice closing scene, as they name their baby D'Argo. The story finishes with a sense of resolution, but promise of a future for the characters.

So. That's it. I've seen Farscape.
    I'm really glad you convinced me to check it out.
    And I feel a huge sense of national pride that Australia was so integrally  involved in the creation of this show. We've proven that Aussies can make sci-fi, and make sci-fi that is loved around the world. Even if it took financing from America. Let's hope that some day we might see another great sci-fi TV show birthed here.
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 27th 2018, 8:15 pm

Paeter wrote:That's been "in development" for years. In fact it was the original reason I did my Farscape commentaries, because it really looked like it was moving forward at the time. At this point I'm kind of done getting my hopes up unless something really concrete starts happening.

This interview from late last year says they're currently working on a script and hoping it get it up and running this year. I wouldn't call this concrete, but it's certainly positive.
    https://paleymatters.org/somewhere-over-the-wormhole-farscape-15-years-later-eef1ebba7e98
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 27th 2018, 9:52 pm

Oh. I forgot to talk about Sekozu. Traitor huh! That was interesting. She had logical story reasons for her betrayal. It was a good way to twist a main character, but she hadn't been in the cast long enough for us to too upset. (Imagine if D'Argo or Areyn turned out to be the traitor. That would not have gone down well)

I just wish they'd explored it a bit more. We have the scene where Scorpius confronts her, then we never see her again.
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings on May 28th 2018, 2:33 am

Hmm. It seems you didn't doa Shawarma on "Mental As Anything"
    In SBU 390 (Christmas special) you talked about Twice Shy. The next episode, 391, you talked about "Bringin home the Beacon", and then in 392 you are talking about "A Constellation of Doubt."
    Looks like you missed it altogether.
    I was interested to hear your thoughts on this one.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 29th 2018, 9:56 am

AdamCollings wrote:Hmm. It seems you didn't doa Shawarma on "Mental As Anything"
    In SBU 390 (Christmas special) you talked about Twice Shy. The next episode, 391, you talked about "Bringin home the Beacon", and then in 392 you are talking about "A Constellation of Doubt."
    Looks like you missed it altogether.
    I was interested to hear your thoughts on this one.

Oh that's weird! But you're right! It looks like I didn't even record one based on the files on my computer.

I don't have any fresh thoughts, but I think I just remember feeling "good" about that episode. Not "great". It was interesting that they had me guessing about D'Argo's guilt through much of the Ep. It was a big deal to finally get it all sorted out. I remember not being thrilled with the set, though. Reminded me of the inside of the old Space Mountain ride at Disneyland. Very "Christmas Lights" looking. I also felt like the "Jedi Master" with the droopy eye was... I don't know. Rubbed me the wrong way. That was nuts when John just stuck his hand in the fire though! Poor guy does so much insane stuff when he's at the end of his rope.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is December 18th 2018, 12:43 pm