The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Scripture Memorization Techniques/Resources?

Reed Benson

Activity : 400
    Geek-Cred : 1

Scripture Memorization Techniques/Resources?

Post  Reed Benson on March 11th 2018, 8:51 pm

I need to start memorizing scripture, but memorization hasn't really been my strong suit at any point I can remember. To those of you who practice this discipline, what techniques or resources do you use? Do you carry flashcards? Do you write the verse(s) over and over like a school kid in detention? Something else?

I did find a useful series of music albums a while back called Hide the Word by Mark Altrogge and friends. They put a verse or verses to music (including the citation of the location) as a way to help people remember them. I was getting some of them free from Mark's website, https://theblazingcenter.com/, but they haven't been releasing them there for a while. You'll have to backtrack several months to find the last time they did, I think. But the albums are available on iTunes and Amazon.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6376
    Geek-Cred : 56

Re: Scripture Memorization Techniques/Resources?

Post  Paeter on March 12th 2018, 9:49 am

Well, I'm not currently in a season of discipline on this, and I've never been good at it either.

But there WAS a season a year or two ago when I WAS, and this is what worked for me:

1. Master the Restart. This is a slogan of our senior pastor, and probably the most important item on this list. You'll fail and feel like "I can't do this". But God already KNOWS you can't do it. What he calls us to in light of that is to rely on his gracious patience and master the art of starting again, knowing that we will have to start again a ridiculous number of times.

2. Choose verses that matter to YOU. Also SUPER important. I was never good at verse memorization in Sunday School growing up because I just had no motive. The verses didn't have relevance to my day to day life. But it made all the difference when I started choosing a verse or two at a time that said something I REALLY needed to remember. I also spent time in prolonged thought about the verses I was memorizing, considering their relevance to my life and thinking about various applications of the truth they reveal.

3. Getting practical now, "put the verses everywhere/anywhere". Tape them to your bathroom mirror or above your monitor or anywhere else your eyes frequent. This will increase your exposure to the verses during daily activity. Putting them on your phone in a text document is good, too. Then you can pull it up and read the verses in those down time moments.

4. Read the verses, out loud, with verse numbers, 10 times or more, daily, and test yourself after to see how much you can do on your own. If memorizing more than one verse, add verses successively as you succeed. (I call this the "video game method", where if you stumble and "die" on verse 2 or 3, you have to start back at verse 1 again.) Including chapter and verse during recitation is good for helping you find the verse in the Bible sometime if you want to look at context for deeper understanding, and also makes it easier to share specific verses with others. So for example, when I practice Philippians 4:4-9 I say:

"Philippians Four, Four through nine. Four-four, Rejoice in The Lord Always. Again I will say, rejoice. Four five, let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand. Four six, do not be anxious about anything, but everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, Four seven, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understand.... etc"

I started out by learning one new verse a week and then adding a verse to my routine after getting solid on each one. I also needed some weeks where I just went back to review.

The goal, in my mind, was having the verses ready to effortlessly come to mind when I needed them. For example, I started with Philippians 4:4-9 because of its relevance to worry in thought life, which I tend to deal with. So I knew I was at the level I needed to be when I could instantly bring it to mind when needed (even saying it out LOUD sometimes) to drown out harmful thoughts and correct my perspective.

So those were the basics that were valuable to me.

May God bless your efforts as you imprint his word on your heart!

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 608
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on March 12th 2018, 10:03 am

First, pick a translation you're comfortable with, or, the translation your pastor uses. This helps because you're going to hear those passages come up in sermons.

Second, start small and build up. Start with one verse or part of one and focus on it for a week. Even if you think you've got it after a day or two, stay with it.

Third, don't memorize a verse because someone said, "this is a good one to memorize." Memorize passages that will comfort you, give you peace, or minister to you where you are now.

Fourth, pray the scripture you're memorizing. For example, if you want to memorize James 1:12 you'd pray something like this:

"Lord, thank you for your promise of life. Thank you that a crown awaits me for the testing I've endured. Thank you that your love is what sustains me through the test and my faith in you is genuine."

Fifth, have fun. Have you wife test you and reward you when you're right. Rewards could be things like candy, extra video game time, or a kiss (not the chocolate kind).

Hope this helps!

Twitter
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson on March 12th 2018, 6:40 pm

Great stuff, thank you both!
    AdamCollings

Activity : 737
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on March 12th 2018, 7:15 pm

I memorised Psalm 103 years back. I did it by adding a verse every day (but reciting to myself the entire chapter so far). Pretty similar process as others have described. I didn't bother with verse numbers, though.
    I retained it for a few years, and whenever I hear it, it is still a familiar passage to me, but I could no longer recite it to you from memory.

This thread is inspiring me to get back into scripture memorisation. The benefits are totally worth the investment.
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi on March 13th 2018, 8:48 am

AdamCollings wrote:I memorised Psalm 103 years back. I did it by adding a verse every day (but reciting to myself the entire chapter so far). Pretty similar process as others have described. I didn't bother with verse numbers, though.
    I retained it for a few years, and whenever I hear it, it is still a familiar passage to me, but I could no longer recite it to you from memory.

This thread is inspiring me to get back into scripture memorisation. The benefits are totally worth the investment.

My son and I memorized Psalm 119 one year. I think I may do it again.

Twitter
    AdamCollings

Activity : 737
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on March 13th 2018, 6:37 pm

jorowi wrote:
    My son and I memorized Psalm 119 one year. I think I may do it again.

Ambitious!
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi on March 14th 2018, 7:05 am

My kids have been in a Bible club (Awana) for years. They memorize a lot of verses (as do I through drilling them) so it needed to be a challenge.

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 14th 2018, 10:18 am

jorowi wrote:My kids have been in a Bible club (Awana) for years. They memorize a lot of verses (as do I through drilling them) so it needed to be a challenge.

My boys did Awana for a couple season at my parents' church! Great stuff!

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi on March 14th 2018, 10:26 am

Paeter wrote:My boys did Awana for a couple season at my parents' church! Great stuff!

Except for the pledge to the "Christian flag" and religious jingoism, yeah.

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 14th 2018, 10:32 am

jorowi wrote:
    Paeter wrote:My boys did Awana for a couple season at my parents' church! Great stuff!

Except for the pledge to the "Christian flag" and religious jingoism, yeah.

LOL! I didn't know about that! The only materials they brought home were a story workbook and a CD with some audio stories on it that centered around the verses.

Oh, man, I'm grinning nervously and scared to ask...

What the crap is "The Christian Flag" and how does the pledge go?

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi on March 14th 2018, 10:51 am

You can see the Christian Flag here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Flag

Here are all the pledges your child may have recited in Awana:

1. Pledge to the Bible

I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God’s holy word
    I will make it a lamp unto my feet, and a light
    unto my path. I will hide God’s word in my heart
    that I might not sin against Him.

2. Pledge to the Christian Flag

I pledge allegiance to the Christian Flag,
    and to the Savior for whose kingdom it
    stands. One Savior, crucified, risen, and
    coming again with life and liberty for all
    who believe.

3. Pledge to the American Flag

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United
    States of America and to the republic for
    which it stands, one nation under
    God, indivisible with
    liberty and justice for all.

4. Pledge to the AWANA Flag

I pledge allegiance to the AWANA flag which
    stands for the AWANA clubs. Whose goal is
    to reach boys and girls with the gospel of
    Christ and train them to serve Him.

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 15th 2018, 9:05 am

My youngest just got up and said they only pledged to the flag. Still a bit odd, to me.
    I'll have to see what the oldest says later.
    REALLY interesting.
    Hmm, I wonder if Awana sells their lessons and CDs, so you can buy them apart from signing your kid up for the classes?

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi on March 15th 2018, 11:58 am

Yes, they do.

https://store.awana.org/

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on March 16th 2018, 9:47 am

jorowi wrote:Yes, they do.

https://store.awana.org/

Cool, thanks!

www.spiritblade.com
    Archsaint

Activity : 35
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Archsaint on March 17th 2018, 9:06 am

Archsaint drinks his morning coffee. Ahh, coffee.

If you’re still looking for ideas on scripture memorization, I’ll throw in my two cents.
    It really depends on why you want to memorize scripture. The driving factor for me was preaching the gospel and the daily walk with God.
    I would always look for opportunity to witness to nonbelievers; that helped me memorize verses and find my way around the bible.
    For the daily walk, find out what you’re struggling with. If it’s wicked thoughts, then Psalm 119:113, Prov. 24:9, etc. Paeter’s 2nd point was good; you have to memorize scripture that you’re going to use.
    I personally don’t like putting scripture to music because then I can’t read or recite the verse without thinking of the tune, but it does work.

I think the best way to retain scripture in your memory is to "fight the good fight".
    We’re soldiers (2 Tim. 2:3, Eph. 6:10-18), and the word of God is the only offensive weapon we have (which is why it’s attacked relentlessly).
    Fight with it long enough and it becomes a part of you and you can’t put it down. Eleazar is an excellent picture of this (2 Sam. 23:9-10).

Curious, are you trying to memorize scripture from an English bible or from a Chinese bible? (I’m assuming you can read Chinese since you’re in China.)
    Briefly commenting on English bibles, I would solely recommend the King James Bible.
    It’s at a 5th grade reading level; the newer versions are at a 6th grade or higher reading level. It uses fewer syllables per word, less letters per word, etc.
    Ergo, the KJB is easier to memorize.

Here is a video link talking about that: https://youtu.be/tR_7tkC6ZiA?t=18m57s
    The entire video is great, but I timestamped it at the part of scripture memorization.
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson on March 20th 2018, 6:59 pm

Thanks for your advice, Archsaint.

Archsaint wrote:It really depends on why you want to memorize scripture.

My primary purpose is to change my focus away from my anxiety and depression and keep it on God and his plans and promises. Whenever I worry, I want to be able to remind myself of why I shouldn't. Evangelism is also something I want to be prepared for, but I'll need to look to different verses for that.

Archsaint wrote:Curious, are you trying to memorize scripture from an English bible or from a Chinese bible? (I’m assuming you can read Chinese since you’re in China.)

My Chinese isn't good enough for Chinese verses to be of much use to me. I've thought about memorizing them for the sake of studying the language, but even then, the Chinese translations I've seen use a lot of words that are not common is daily conversation or writing. It'd be like using the King James or American Standard versions to study English as a second language; you'd be calling everyone "thee" and using a lot of antiquated vocabulary.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 21st 2018, 1:50 am