The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Pen/Pencil and Paper Tabletop RPGs

Pen/Pencil and Paper Tabletop RPGs

Post  Guest on November 2nd 2010, 8:32 pm

Since this is the place to go for geek stuff, I thought it might be nice to have a topic for Roleplaying Games. And I mean RPGs in the older sense of the term, no video game console, TV, cables, batteries, or power outlets required.

Does anyone around here play them, or run a game, or played in the past? And which game is it?

I'm currently playing a game that uses the more recent GURPs system. Good story, fun story developments, great game master with clever creative flexibility. The only weakness is the combat system, it takes too long to fight through an encounter. I am also prepping notes for mini sessions/playtesting senarios.

Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Re: Pen/Pencil and Paper Tabletop RPGs

Post  Hackmodford on November 3rd 2010, 12:20 pm

Can you provide a link to the game?

I've never really tried a tabletop Pen/paper rpg..

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on November 3rd 2010, 1:01 pm

How could we have gone so long without this topic?

I love Pen and Paper RPGs, and have shelves of books dating way back... Currently, we (our gaming group) are in the middle of a Necessary Evil campaign, where our heroes are succumbing to the pressures of incompatible work schedules. Eh... I mean, attempting to overthrow the alien invaders. Only thing is, all the heroes died during the initial onslaught. You are a supervillain .... and you're the Earth's last, best hope for freedom. Necessary Evil is a setting for the Savage Worlds system, emphasizing tactical, fast, game play with a pulp action sensibility. "The fate of the world lies with the scum of the earth."

Actually, I'm surprised that Paeter hasn't reviewed the new DC Heroes RPG by now, knowing what a huge DC comics geek he is. The current version is made by Green Ronin, based on their wildly successful Mutants and Masterminds series. The new system actually updates the current M&M, and introduces the same kind of logarithmic scaling that made the Mayfair DC Heroes game so freaking awesome. Add in some power caps, hero points, and "Complications" that allow you to increase your power base during game play, and you've got the best superhero game since Aberrant. Guess I'll have to do a full review myself....

GURPS can be pretty math intensive. If combat is too slow, try using the quick contest rules instead, letting your villains automatically pass/fail their Will rolls based on a default score, and remember that bad guys bottle out after they sustain any kind of serious injury!

What games have I played in the past? Ah, memory lane....

DC Heroes (Mayfair) - first game I ever bought and still one of my favorites
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Star Wars (West End)
    GURPS (2nd-3rd ed)
    Top Secret/S.I.
    Robotech
    Heroes Unlimited
    Ninjas & Superspies
    Rifts
    "Old" World of Darkness
    --Vampire the Masquerade
    --Werewolf the Apocalypse
    --Mage the Ascension
    --Wraith the Oblivion
    --Changeling the Dreaming
    --Mummy the Resurrection
    --Hunter the Reckoning
    --Demon the Fallen
    --Street Fighter (yes, based on the video game, and yes included canonically in the World of Darkness!! Hey, White Wolf needed the royalties and brand recognition! This was possibly the first of the specialized tactical combat games.)
    Call of Cthulhu
    Time Lords (BTRC, not Dr. Who)
    Aeon
    --Trinity
    --Aberrant
    --Adventure
    Orpheus
    Dungeons & Dragons v3.5
    GURPS (4th ed)
    Savage Worlds
    --Necessary Evil
    DC Heroes (Green Ronin)

Do we want to go into books that I bought and read but never got to play in any meaningful fashion? Cuz that gets you:
    Nightspawn/Nightbane
    Mutants and Masterminds (1st ed)
    Silver Age Sentinels (d20)
    Big Eyes, Small Mouth (d20)
    d20 Modern
    Farscape (d20)
    Pokethulhu (yes, exactly what you think it is.)
    Star Wars (d20)
    "New" World of Darkness
    --core rules
    Savage Worlds
    --Slipstream

Ah, there's probably some more, but I'd have to go digging through my books. Plus supplements and settings and wargames and miniatures.... Holy cow, if I'd invested all that money instead of spending it on books! I'd be a richer man at the bank, but poorer in many other ways..... I still intend to play many of these games, (like Slipstream) but others have devolved into reference material or nostalgia. Yipes! Get an old gamer talking!

If you are a gamer at all, you must watch The Gamers: Dorkness Rising. It is available for live streaming over Netflix, and in 9 parts at crappy resolution through You Tube. Better yet, buy the dang thing. It's one of the most watched movies on my shelf.

Speaking of RPGs, Fear the Con 4 is officially on; a solid weekend of con gaming. The guys and I have been to the past three, and there's no way we're missing this one. If St. Louis is in your travel range, then think about it! www.fearthecon.com

Hack, I grieve for you, my friend.
    Here's a link to a complete multi-genre set of books, a free - legal - download.
    http://criticalpressmedia.com/publications/open-d6/
    For more information about getting into PPRPGs, inquire at your Friendly Local Gaming Store/Comic Shop. Or find out about GURPS at sjgames.com and Palladium at palladiumbooks.com Savage Worlds has an awesome site as well, but I don't have the address memorized.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5014
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on November 4th 2010, 11:19 am

mindspike wrote:

Actually, I'm surprised that Paeter hasn't reviewed the new DC Heroes RPG by now, knowing what a huge DC comics geek he is. The current version is made by Green Ronin, based on their wildly successful Mutants and Masterminds series.

WHAT?!?!

I had no idea this even existed! (Not that I have a gaming group or time to run a game these days.) Please do a review and if so inclined, send it my way for use on the podcast!

www.spiritblade.com

kevbayer

Activity : 19
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  kevbayer on January 11th 2011, 4:50 pm

Desert Kris wrote:Does anyone around here play them, or run a game, or played in the past? And which game is it?

I haven't gamed in almost two decades. There's a new local group here trying to form, but getting schedules to match up is a problem. We used to have a local group, probably for a couple of decades or more, that met once a month at a local comics shop - but they were strict about adhering to RPGA rules, and the people there really weren't my cup-of-tea.

When I did play, I mostly did Palladium stuff, Robotech, Rifts and such (Rifts is awesome!).I dabbled in D&D and Star Wars too, but not enough to really know my stuff there.

If I found a good group, I'd love to get into it again, and introduce my kids to it. My oldest daughter has expressed interest.

hvymtlcowboy
    Alliance Member

Activity : 124
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  hvymtlcowboy on January 18th 2011, 5:59 pm

I live out in the sticks of Alabama and haven't played an RPG in a while. Where I live most people don't know what an 'Pen and Paper RPG' is. If they do, they only know about D&D. I would have loved to have played Shadowrun or something similar, I just couldn't find anyone who had similar interests.

Rickster

Activity : 1932
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on January 18th 2011, 7:24 pm

Paeter wrote:
    mindspike wrote:

Actually, I'm surprised that Paeter hasn't reviewed the new DC Heroes RPG by now, knowing what a huge DC comics geek he is. The current version is made by Green Ronin, based on their wildly successful Mutants and Masterminds series.

WHAT?!?!

I had no idea this even existed! (Not that I have a gaming group or time to run a game these days.) Please do a review and if so inclined, send it my way for use on the podcast!

Is this an online game?

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5014
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on January 19th 2011, 12:03 am

Rickster wrote:
    Paeter wrote:
    mindspike wrote:

WHAT?!?!

Is this an online game?

Nope. Although there is an MMO called "DC Universe Online" that just launched.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:17 pm

Current date/time is December 2nd 2016, 5:17 pm