Glued Fingers Or Forced "Thank Yous"?

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6648
    Geek-Cred : 56

Glued Fingers Or Forced "Thank Yous"?

Post  Paeter on March 28th 2018, 10:08 am

Oh man, this one is terrible. First, a quick rules recap:

1. You must choose one or the other. Comments that choose some form of "neither" are invalid.

2. You can't doctor-up the situation to make it easier for yourself. No drowning that bowl of crickets in ketchup before eating them. No resolving to have that ugly growth removed. No having paramedics or anti-venom ready on standby. You have to live with your choice, As It Is Written.

You ARE, however, encouraged to explain why your choice would be less difficult for you than the alternative.

TODAY'S CHOICE:

Would you rather have your thumb and first finger glued together for life in the "OK" sign,

or

be forced to say "thank you" before every sentence?

I am so stuck on this one. I think I have to go with option B. I can imagine being somewhat content with a combination of talking less and people just learning to live with my strange "thank you" condition. (The condition doesn't apply to writing, which helps. And at least while recording video or audio of myself I could delete the "thank yous" in the final product. Still a BIG pain, though.)

But something about losing functionality in either hand really bothers me. I think that would be worse for me.

No wait, I think I need to change my answer. I don't know HOW I would live with the partial loss of hand functionality, but there are a lot more examples of people living happy lives with even worse disabilities. I think I'd have to mourn through the loss, but it would still hamper me less in life than the "thank you" condition.

Oh crap, this game sucks!

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Re: Glued Fingers Or Forced "Thank Yous"?

Post  Reed Benson on March 28th 2018, 6:46 pm

I'd go with the "Thank you" option for the reasons you said before you changed your answer. I'd much rather just say a couple extra words every time I talk than lose functionality of my hand. The latter would just make everything too hard.
    AdamCollings

Activity : 859
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  AdamCollings on March 28th 2018, 9:01 pm

Ok. These both have direct impact on my writing.

If my fingers were glued, I couldn't type. I could still write using dictation.
    If I had to say thankyou, I'd be unable to dictate, but I could type.

The glued fingers would also affect countless day-to-day activities. I would be useless.

Having to say "thankyou" at the start of every sentance would become extremely tiresome. Those who didn't understand why would think I'm weird. (but who in this world doesn't already think I'm weird? Even I think I'm weird.) It would basically be and end to my youTube career, because I couldn't speak on camera like that.

On balance, if I had to choose between writing fiction and youTube, I'd choose writing. I'd miss youTube terribly, but I HAVE to write.

Dictation is a nice idea. It's said to increase efficiency for high-performing authors, but it's expensive to get started, and I'm not remotely high-performing.

So, on balance of all of that, I would choose to say "thank you" before every sentence.
    Rickster

Activity : 2199
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on March 29th 2018, 5:20 pm

Thank you for this question. Thank you but I don't think I could live with my fingers glued together in the ok sign. Thnk you for giving me an other option. Thank you i'm sure this will get annoying. thank you if it hasn't already
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 683

Post  jorowi on March 30th 2018, 7:27 am

I'd go with the glued fingers.

Even though my work revolves around typing, I know I can adapt because I've injured my hand in the past. The verbal tick would annoy me more than others. I'm sure I can learn to get along with a physical limitation. In fact, I just typed this sentence and the former one with my fingers stuck together.

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6648
    Geek-Cred : 56

Post  Paeter on March 30th 2018, 8:52 am

jorowi wrote:I'm sure I can learn to get along with a physical limitation. In fact, I just typed this sentence and the former one with my fingers stuck together.

Oh, yeah! I'm doing it too! A little slower than my usual high speed hunt and peck , but I could totally adapt!

The things we can learn if we give them a try!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Activity : 859

Post  AdamCollings on April 2nd 2018, 6:47 pm

Rickster wrote:Thank you for this question. Thank you but I don't think I could live with my fingers glued together in the ok sign. Thnk you for giving me an other option. Thank you i'm sure this will get annoying. thank you if it hasn't already

lol!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is November 16th 2018, 12:16 am