The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Bruce Timm's DCAU finally complete!

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 820
    Geek-Cred : 39

Bruce Timm's DCAU finally complete!

Post  mindspike on April 5th 2018, 3:37 pm

in the 1990s, Bruce Timm and Andrea Romano inadvertently created something unique and special when they animated Batman with the voice of Kevin Conroy. That series spun off into several others and became a whole version of the DCU unto itself. From 1992 to 2006, Timm and Romano kept a coherent vision of the setting and a range of stories that included crime noir, romantic melodrama, teen coming of age, and seriously meta philosophy. Plus superhero adventure. Lots of superhero adventure.

The DCAU mainly consists of:

Batman: the Animated Series (1992-1995)
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (movie, 1993)
    Superman: the Animated Series (1996-2000)
    The New Batman Adventures (1997-1999)
    Batman and Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero (movie 1998)
    Batman Beyond (199-2001)
    Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000)
    Static Shock (2000-2004)
    The Zeta Project (2001-2002)
    Justice League (2001-2004)
    Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (movie 2003)
    Justice League Unlimited (2004-2006)

There were assorted comic tie-ins and short projects as well. Lots of them. But these are the main stories.

Until now, they were all available on video except for the complete series of Static Shock and the Zeta Project. Starting last year, Warner Archive has made these last shows available on Amazon. It's on-demand production, but the release is official and the quality is standard DVD.

The Zeta Project is pretty good. It spun off from Batman Beyond and features the voice of Diedrich Bader as Zeta. It's kind of a sci-fi version of The Fugitive. It's about average compared to the other shows.

I'm super stoked for the release of Static Shock. Milestone creators Dwayne McDuffie and Denys Cowan participated in the creation of the show. McDuffie stayed in the animation field, working with Man of Action to produce the various Ben 10 series (another superhero show of outstanding quality). Static Shock crossed over with both Batman, Justice League, and Batman Beyond. It showcases the phenomenal talents of Jason Marsden and Phil LaMarr in a variety of roles. As the show progresses, Virgil and Richie (Our Heroes) grow in both their personal development and in the scope of their powers. The episodes tackle the usual array of social issues and questions of responsibility but shies away from actually handing out pat answers. If you missed this show when it aired, and you love McDuffie's work on JL and JLU, make some room in your DVD budget. I definitely will.

Every year or so, I wind up watching the DCAU in its entirety. Until now, my copies have been the ones I recorded off of Cartoon Network. On VHS. This is niiiiiiiice.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 628
    Geek-Cred : 6

Re: Bruce Timm's DCAU finally complete!

Post  jorowi on April 6th 2018, 9:45 am

Duuuuuuude! You're alive!

Twitter
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson on April 6th 2018, 6:54 pm

I'd love to have a big ol' boxed set of these, though I don't know when I'd have time to watch them all. If I had to choose one, I'd want the entire Batman: The Animated Series set (with or without The New Batman Adventures).

Pretty sure I've seen every episode of Justice League and Unlimited except for "Starcrossed." I should get on that.

I've heard of The Zeta Project, but I never watched it. I'd be interested. I did watch a little of Static Shock when I heard that Batman and the JL crossed over. I thought the JL crossover was pretty cheesy, but it's been a while since I watched it.

I remember Static showing up in a time travel episode of Justice League Unlimited.

So Superman and the Legion of Superheroes isn't in the Timmverse, then? I'd like to watch that, too.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is June 23rd 2018, 1:03 pm