The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Discovering "Fringe"

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6525
    Geek-Cred : 56

Discovering "Fringe"

Post  Paeter on April 25th 2018, 8:28 am

A friend has been telling me for years I would love the TV show Fringe. I remember when the pilot first aired. I watched the first 20 minutes and it just looked like another X-Files, "monster-of-the-week" show. Now, I LOVE gory monsters, but after Farscape I became ruined for any show that doesn't have serialized, character-driven storytelling from week to week. And this didn't look like that kind of show.

I'm a few episodes from the end of season 1 now, which my friend says is the weakest season in the series, and I'm really glad I was wrong! It's got some good father-son stuff, developing characters, gory monsters and even body horror! The show also has the most attention-grabbing openings for its episodes that I've ever seen in a TV show!

Anyone else watch and enjoy this show when it aired or since?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rohelf

Activity : 128
    Geek-Cred : 0

Re: Discovering "Fringe"

Post  Rohelf on April 25th 2018, 5:22 pm

I watched it back when it was originally on and remember really liking it, although I wasn't able to finish the final season (5), and I've heard it was odd/disappointing to some. I have the DVDs, but have just never gotten around to finishing it.

I think Fringe was strongest in seasons 2 and 3, but season 4 started to get a bit weird (even for a show like this), and season 5 just jumped the rails. I began to notice that, as time went on, the show would just shed and ignore certain earlier plot points, rendering whole arcs moot. It felt a little like the writers/producers testing crazy ideas and then just dropping anything that they didn't feel was working, feeling like they could do so with impunity because they could always excuse such change with multiverse/time shift/memory warping technobabble, due to the nature of the show. When continuity can be chucked out and rebooted on a whim like that, it makes it hard to invest in the characters' lives.
    AdamCollings

Activity : 807
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on April 25th 2018, 7:12 pm

Glad you've given it another chance Paeter. Yes, Fringe is a very serialised show, as you get into it.
    It explored some cool sci-fi ideas reasonably deeply and had some very memorable and cool characters.

The main issue with season 5 is that the show was getting pressure to wrap up, so they had to condense an arc that would have taken several seasons into a single season. That's why the nature of the show seemed to radically change without warning.
    That said, I really enjoyed that final season.

Hope you continue to enjoy it Paeter.
    AdamCollings

Activity : 807
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on April 25th 2018, 7:16 pm

Oh, and the humour will be right up your angle. Most of it comes from Walter. It is very much character-based humour. I actually found this show quite educational on the subject of how to write humour into a story.
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on April 26th 2018, 9:41 am

AdamCollings wrote:Oh, and the humour will be right up your angle. Most of it comes from Walter. It is very much character-based humour. I actually found this show quite educational on the subject of how to write humour into a story.

Yeah, I'm digging the humor from Walter! I love fish out of water stuff, and he is so out of his element, like... anywhere he goes. And it often has a shocking, dark edge to it. Or at least is totally inappropriate socially. It actually reminds me a bit of the subversive humor in Farscape. It's great!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on April 26th 2018, 9:43 am

Rohelf wrote:
    I think Fringe was strongest in seasons 2 and 3, but season 4 started to get a bit weird (even for a show like this), and season 5 just jumped the rails.

Yeah, I'd heard about some of the jarring shifts in the show from my friend. Not plot details or anything, but just that something like that happens that feels off. He seems to think that the core things I tend to like in fiction will still be there and really enjoyable for me. So we'll see!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is August 14th 2018, 2:41 pm