The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Anger, Grief & God

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6605
    Geek-Cred : 56

Anger, Grief & God

Post  Paeter on April 30th 2018, 11:13 am

Yesterday during our church service I was really grateful for the series our lead pastor has been taking us through in the Psalms. There can be a thing in cultural Christianity where it's thought of as improper to express doubt or anger to God or toward God. As though we are spiritually immature if we have prolonged seasons where we don't smile.

As I've seen in 10+ years of online ministry with the geek community, there is a lot of pain going around, which results in anxiety, anger, doubt and all kinds of other difficult things. So in addition to processing some of my own pain (Yep, I've got some too. Just not the kind that's wise to share on the internet.) I've thought about some of you specifically and our community in general as our church has been exploring the Psalms and how they model and indirectly approve of our expressions of pain, grief and even anger to God.

As is the case with anything made for mass-consumption, I don't provide this here as a "fix" for your particular situation. Particular pains require particular individuals in your particular location to provide particular comfort. But as a supplement to that, I thought I'd link to the series, which you can watch on video if you like while gaming or doing something else in your free time.

The page for the series in general is here- https://subsplash.com/myredmtn/media/ms/+gk47z8z

But the series really starts dealing with "lament emotions" (grief, doubt, anger, etc) at Psalm 22- https://subsplash.com/myredmtn/media/mi/+zfs9k4z?autoplay=true

Psalm 88 is taught by a visiting African preacher we've been partnered with for a long time. If his accent isn't prohibitive his sermon is worth listening to, as he is a man who has been through enormous suffering for a long time and is still dealing with the fact that God is still leaving some of his prayers of deep anguish unanswered and his suffering unremoved.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Activity : 851
    Geek-Cred : 5

Re: Anger, Grief & God

Post  AdamCollings on April 30th 2018, 7:35 pm

Your church has a very similar "look and feel" to mine. I suspect I would feel very much at home there.
    Of course, I'm drawn to focus on the technical aspects of how you do your video etc, as this is my primary ministry area, lol, but I just had the first video on in the background while I was working. I'll probably watch more, as it's nice to have some good Bible teaching while I wrestle with code.

And I can definitely see the fingerprint of your church on the way you do your own teaching through "In Search of Truth"/
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6605
    Geek-Cred : 56

Post  Paeter on May 1st 2018, 8:52 am

AdamCollings wrote:

And I can definitely see the fingerprint of your church on the way you do your own teaching through "In Search of Truth"/

lol! Yep, no question there!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is October 22nd 2018, 7:29 pm