The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Childish Gambino - This is America

jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 661
    Geek-Cred : 6

Childish Gambino - This is America

Post  jorowi on May 10th 2018, 9:48 am

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd encourage you to watch Donald Glover's (aka Childish Gambino, aka Lando Calrissian on Solo) latest video, This Is America. It's below. It does contain some brief, violent images, profanity and Mr. Glover is topless throughout the video so if that's not your cup of tea you may want to skip it.

This video is being analyzed and discussed by many people online and I thought we could have a discussion about it here.

I'll wait to comment until I hear from others. I've watched this video every day this week. I see more things in it every time. Lots of layers here.

We may even want to compare and contrast it with Lacrae's video Welcome to America:

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6569
    Geek-Cred : 56

Re: Childish Gambino - This is America

Post  Paeter on May 11th 2018, 11:34 am

What stands out to you as the core message?

I only turned captions on halfway through so might have missed understanding some key lyrics early on, but the message seems to be something like:

"In America we pursue happiness through materialism, willingly blind to the suffering around us."

I'm sure there are many more particular statements than that, but I'm guessing they all fall under that umbrella.

What do you think?

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 661
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on May 11th 2018, 12:59 pm

The biggest thing that jumped out was all the violence going on in the background while Glover is dancing in the foreground. Our culture is so entertainment driven and we ignore the real problems. We're distracted by our screens and miss the real issues of the day. The idea that America is obsessed with black culture right now while simultaneously ignoring the crime and other issues plaguing African Americans.

Twitter
    AdamCollings

Activity : 827
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  AdamCollings on May 13th 2018, 6:49 pm

There was a lot to take in from both of these videos. I looked up the lyrics to both, because I just wasn't understanding a lot of the words.
    The first one is pretty shocking, with the violent imagery. It seemed to be saying something about guns, I just wasn't sure if it was for or against. There also seemed to be a lot about racial relations in the second half. Biggest thing coming through seemed to be that Americans just want to have fun and get rich, with no hard work and with no responsibility for others.

The Lecrae song had some similar themes, but a more optimistic spin. I think Lecrae was telling three separate stories through first-person narrative of characters that represent different types of Americans. At first, I thought he was telling his own story. But again, big theme is the inward focus on personal happiness, while ignoring the plight of the less fortunate, both nearby and around the world. I think this is a trap that most western countries fall into.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is September 23rd 2018, 9:33 pm