The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Need Wisdom/Discernment Regarding Parenting Decision

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6574
    Geek-Cred : 56

Need Wisdom/Discernment Regarding Parenting Decision

Post  Paeter on May 16th 2018, 8:33 am

Holly and I have been talking through a decision for the past few days and struggling to come to agreement. In a nutshell, we want our son Asher to start exploring his interests more productively through extra-curricular learning/activity. He's highly imaginative, musically gifted (we're pretty sure he has perfect pitch) and loves creative storytelling. We want to steer him toward organized activities that will help develop skills in connection with his interests/ability. But how much to push and how much choice/control to allow him is what we are sorting through. And while I'm trying hard to compensate for it, I've got some baggage related to some extra-curricular stuff I did growing up and the choice/control I did or didn't have over it.

I think we're getting close to agreement on something, but it's tough not being on the same page. So prayer for our decision-making, our relationship with each other and our relationship with Asher would be very much appreciated.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Activity : 827
    Geek-Cred : 3

Re: Need Wisdom/Discernment Regarding Parenting Decision

Post  AdamCollings on May 16th 2018, 6:29 pm

Just brought this situation before God for you guys.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6574
    Geek-Cred : 56

Post  Paeter on May 17th 2018, 8:23 am

AdamCollings wrote:Just brought this situation before God for you guys.

Thanks so much, Adam.

We've come to a good point of agreement on how to move forward, by giving Asher a choice between some limited options. A sort of halfway point between not pushing him to do anything and forcing him to do one specific thing. We talked with him last night and he'll be making his decision by dinnertime tonight. I can tell he's not thrilled, but he's not in despair either, and all of our relationships are good. So I'm optimistic that this was the right way to go.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is September 26th 2018, 5:15 am