The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Prayer for daughter

jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 702
    Geek-Cred : 6

Prayer for daughter

Post  jorowi on June 7th 2018, 8:40 am

Daughter #2 has started her first job. One of her co-workers is transgender. Please pray for my wife and I as we help her navigate these uncharted waters in her life. It's really confusing and difficult for a 16-year-old girl who has been homeschooled. Also, any advice would be appreciated. I have worked with people who've transitioned but a professional environment is much different than food service.

Twitter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6679
    Geek-Cred : 56

Re: Prayer for daughter

Post  Paeter on June 8th 2018, 8:38 am

Yeah, I'm sure that will require some adjustment, wisdom and grace on her part. No advice to offer. I've had some homosexual friends/acquaintances over the years, more so in college. But no transgender friends or helpful experience there. The only word that comes to mind is compassion. I can't endorse every choice that someone makes. But I can have compassion for the hurts, longings or pains that made those choices seem appealing to them.

Praying for you both!

www.spiritblade.com
    ComiKate

Activity : 400
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate on June 28th 2018, 5:43 pm

As someone living and working in a country where LGBT as a concept seems to be, perhaps, a little bit more accepted than in the US (i'm speaking very broadly here, there are of course exceptions on both sides) I can perhaps offer some tidbits (in case of TLDR, skip to the end for summary study .

I've had three gay managers and managing directors above me, several LG colleagues (don't know about the B) and I have personally hired and, after that, been team manager to, a person of whom I was convinced from the start she was a male-to-female T. If some of her co-workers (also under me in that same team) laughed or mocked her behind her back, I intervened and stopped them, from what I felt was a righteous anger in me and a heart-felt moral duty to protect and defend the T's right to simply be.

Personally, I'm convinced it's all about the individual and their specific situation and character. I approach and treat any LGBT person the same as I do any other; in that sense the LGBT factor is a non-issue for me; live and let live, love them and extend grace where you can. Although I am convinced to the core that the LGBT lifestyle is not God's will for anyone, I am also convinced to the core that He loves them all as much as He loves me and everybody else. Hence, it is not up to me to judge anyone based solely on the fact that they feel they are LGBT. I am a sinner just as much, if not more. Which makes us far more the same than different, spiritually.
    So yes, love should always be first and foremost.

Having said that, there is also the matter of your daughter's own right to be who she is and think what she thinks. Most LGBT people I have met and worked with are perfectly lovely and I have had no trouble nor spiritual struggle to engage with them and be friendly with them. However, there are also the radical leftist activist type LGBT persons, and they can be pretty agressive - as I have also personally experienced (from a gay person). When confronted with these types and opinions, I take a different stance, and my advice would be that your daughter learn to do so as well.
    My stance is that my individuality is as precious as theirs, which means I will not be bullied into false 'tolerance', made-up words (like CIS-gendered) or other politically correct nonsense and I always offer (verbal) resistance, kindly but firmly, based on rational arguments as much as I can. I will not let them define me.
    Fortunately these more in-your-face types tend to be the exceptions, in my experience.

Anyway, so to your daughter I would say:
    1. Love, grace, protection, defense, by you for them;
    2. Love, grace, protection, defense, by you for yourself;
    3. pray for wisdom to decide which situation requires which.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6679
    Geek-Cred : 56

Post  Paeter on June 29th 2018, 10:17 am

Katja, thanks so much for sharing your experience, compassion and insight. Really glad you're here!

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 702
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on June 29th 2018, 1:31 pm

Thanks for the input, Katja. We have always emphasized grace and love towards people who are different. Her biggest challenge to date has been the teasing she gets for "not drinking, smoking, cursing, having sex, or partying".

Twitter
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 843
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on November 19th 2018, 6:04 pm

I enjoy the Stand To Reason podcasts by Greg Koukl.

It is a call-in type, apologetics show so this topic is covered often.  Here is a recent podcast that I found -- https://www.str.org/podcasts/can-persons-sexuality-change -- but there are many if you do a search. Almost always good stuff!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is December 15th 2018, 2:21 pm