The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Who Is Your Favorite Non-Adapted Book Character?

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6679
    Geek-Cred : 56

Who Is Your Favorite Non-Adapted Book Character?

Post  Paeter on September 12th 2018, 8:58 am

Here's a potentially challenging one! Who is your favorite character from a fiction book that has NOT appeared in other media, such as comics, games, TV or movies?

(I'll give a little wiggle room and say that they CAN have appeared in other media, as long as you yourself have not consumed the alternate media with them in it.)

I would probably go with Kylar Stern from Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy. What a broken human being, but one that I really want to root for and see have a better life. (And also a hugely capable assassin!)

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings

Activity : 875
    Geek-Cred : 6

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Non-Adapted Book Character?

Post  AdamCollings on September 12th 2018, 6:29 pm

Hmm. I'd probably go for Kaladin by The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson.
    He's got a lot of depth to his character, and plenty of issues to overcome. It's so much fun watching him grow and slowly develop his abilities.
    It feels like he's slowly turning into a fantasy version of Superman, in power, if not in character.
    AGoodReed

Activity : 68
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  AGoodReed on September 13th 2018, 8:52 pm

I'm having trouble thinking of any prose fiction I've read that wasn't adapted or an adaptation that I felt attached to any of the characters. I have trouble reading things without visual representations of the characters, as words don't often help me conjure visuals well. That's why I prefer comics, movies, children's books with illustrations, etc. for my fiction.

I read the first Night Angel book, but I didn't get attached to anyone. Maybe Doll Girl/Elene or that one prophet character whose name I forget who very obviously believed in God. I gravitate to more virtuous characters, and there weren't a lot.

I've read a bunch of Ted Dekker books...but the only ones that haven't been adapted to either comics or movies are Showdown and Saint, and I don't remember hardly any of the characters. I've read a couple of J. Mark Bertrand's Roland March mysteries, but none of the characters really hooked me. I've read a number of Stephen King books, but I actually don't like very many of his characters.

I just don't like people unless I can see 'em, I guess.
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6679
    Geek-Cred : 56

Post  Paeter on September 14th 2018, 9:01 am

AGoodReed wrote:

That's so interesting! Just curious: Do you learn best by watching/reading, listening, or doing?

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed

Activity : 68
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  AGoodReed on September 15th 2018, 5:07 am

Paeter wrote:
    AGoodReed wrote:

That's so interesting! Just curious: Do you learn best by watching/reading, listening, or doing?

Good question. I've never been really sure. I think doing does the job best, but I usually need to follow instructions before I do something. I think I follow those better when I can watch them.

I tend to like reading books when I can see the visual adaptation first. I read all but the last one or two Harry Potter books after seeing their respective film versions. When I finally read The Lord of the Rings, I kept Google-searching names to find out what the characters looked like in the films (since I haven't seen them in a while). Settings are often harder for me to picture, though, and harder to find pictures of.

I feel bit handicapped, come to think of it. Embarassed

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is December 15th 2018, 1:04 pm