The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion (Contains Spoilers)

jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 677
    Geek-Cred : 6

Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion (Contains Spoilers)

Post  jorowi on October 9th 2018, 9:33 am

This is a thread for people to discuss the newest Doctor Who series. Talk about the good, the bad, the beautiful, the ugly.

100% spoilers in this thread so do not read further if you do not want to be spoiled.

Twitter
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 677
    Geek-Cred : 6

Re: Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion (Contains Spoilers)

Post  jorowi on October 9th 2018, 9:58 am

If I'm being honest, I was a bit underwhelmed by the first episode. I think they played it a little too safe.

There were a few things that stuck out to me:

1. At one point The Doctor comments that she hasn't been a woman in a long time. I can't remember if the 9th Doctor made a similar comment or not.
    2. Watching The Doctor make her sonic screwdriver was neat but not believable within the Whoverse. If she could make a sonic from materials on earth, what is stopping someone else?
    3. The baddie was kinda dumb, especially the teeth thing. Also, it's it so cold where he lives that touching humans freezes them to death, taking off his helmet would probably boil his face off.
    4. The previous Doctor's clothes fit the new Doctor too-well. Capaldi is 6' tall and Whittaker is 5'6". There should've been some interplay there.
    5. I feel like the writers are trying to hard to make the show inclusive. Here's a black guy with a disability. Here's a woman of immigrant parents. Here's a mixed-race couple. Here's a cat-dog. Tell good stories with good characters. Make these things matter to the story you're trying to tell rather than shoehorn in representation.
    6. I liked the slow-burn. The Doctor once again establishes that she is a protector of Earth.
    7. I'm looking forward to interactions with old companions and characters. Seeing their reaction to The Doctor's new form should make for some good comedy (as long as it's clean).

Twitter
    AdamCollings

Activity : 847
    Geek-Cred : 5

Post  AdamCollings on October 9th 2018, 10:00 pm

Some valid observations, John.

I believe the Doctor says, "It's been a while since I've bought women's clothing", which technically could mean he bought clothes for his wife, or even for Susan. I personally don't buy that The Doctor has ever been female before, as I don't see how that can fit with canon.

The diversity thing didn't really bother me. I liked all those characters and felt like they were people first. But I agree that they should make these things matter. They did a little of that with Ryan's disability making it difficult for him to climb the stairs, but I hope they do more with stuff like that in the future.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is October 19th 2018, 2:20 pm