The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Greetings from Omaha

litera9

Activity : 48
    Geek-Cred : 0

Greetings from Omaha

Post  litera9 on November 13th 2010, 4:23 pm

I'm a 17 year old homeschooled military brat. I am an avid reader, reading a book a week. I do keep track of geekery in general, and am fascinated by theology, philosophy, and the Christian life I live in Omaha, and have 4 siblings, and 2 loving parents.

I read mostly non-fiction, from Philosophy to economics to classics, to even theology. Science fiction, thrillers, and well written fiction is also on my plate. I generally attempt to read everything I can, except it has to be worth reading.

I've been listening to the Spirit Blade Podcast for a year now, and I thought I would log in here, and start some good conversations. CAnnot wait to see where it goes.

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Re: Greetings from Omaha

Post  mindspike on November 13th 2010, 6:41 pm

Welcome to the forum. I was homeschooled myself for a time, and my two youngest siblings did all of their schooling at home. Plus, my sister constantly accuses me of being a brat!

What kind of philosophy do you read? I remember being heavily into Nietzche at your age. Wasn't very good for me. Now I favor CS Lewis and GK Chesterton. Don't let people tell you that "Mere Christianity" or "The Everlasting Man" are theological works; neither of those men were apologists nor theologists. Those are both well-thought-out works of Christian philosophy.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

litera9

Post  litera9 on November 13th 2010, 9:06 pm

I definitely read Lewis. I like Timothy Keller's mixtures of Theology with Philosophy, and enjoyed the writing style of Daniel Quinn, though not all of his ideas.

When I talk about Philosophy, it also means that I enjoy the many varieties of ideas, whether they be sociological, psychological, or simply historical. Philosophy does explore the great ideas

I haven't read any of the more classical philosophers, though I'd like to eventually in the future. I definitely read far more current events, theology, sci-fi, and history.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on November 13th 2010, 9:53 pm

Welcome, litera9!

You'll find some great company here and will probably find some like-minded thinkers!

What kind of sci-fi have you most enjoyed reading? Any authors that come to mind as your favorites?

www.spiritblade.com

litera9

Post  litera9 on November 14th 2010, 4:56 pm

Currently, I like classic Sci-fi (Asimov, Bradbury, L'engle, etc.), and certain larger sagas, such as the Ender's Series, and the Dune series(specifically original). I try to read the best in Sci-fi,especially stuff that attempts to explore subjects thoughtfully, and uniquely.

WhiteBoy

Activity : 801
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on November 15th 2010, 12:51 pm

Welcome to the forums, Litera9! I'm not much of a reader, but I really enjoy watching movies, including SciFi stuff. I'm no apologist but I do enjoy hearing and considering other people's points of view/philosophy.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on November 15th 2010, 6:38 pm

litera9 wrote:Currently, I like classic Sci-fi (Asimov, Bradbury, L'engle, etc.), and certain larger sagas, such as the Ender's Series, and the Dune series(specifically original). I try to read the best in Sci-fi,especially stuff that attempts to explore subjects thoughtfully, and uniquely.

I've been meaning for a few years to go back and re-attempt a read of Lewis' Space Trilogy. The first time I tried to read it (early college) I was expecting a sci-fi adventure. But these days I dig the philosophical, so I'm thinking I'm missing out by delaying.

www.spiritblade.com

litera9

Post  litera9 on November 16th 2010, 5:41 pm

Oh My Gosh, I found that series to be hard. I read the first two and found them enjoyable, but I never got into the third and final book. As I think about them, the Space Trilogy doesn't feel like Sci-fi, at least not compared to the standards of today. (Then again, neither did A Wrinkle in Time, yet it is still a great plot.) but that is just my opinion. Now that I am older, and understand the deeper facets of literature, it may be worth reading.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:14 am

Current date/time is December 4th 2016, 5:14 am