The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Non-Reformed Preachers

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 147
    Geek-Cred : 1

Non-Reformed Preachers

Post  AGoodReed on November 26th 2018, 7:44 am

I listen to a lot of sermons online these days, and I just recently realized that nearly all of the pastors I regularly listen to are Reformed Calvinists - John Piper, RC Sproul, John MacArthur, Voddie Baucham (I think), etc. Nothing against the Reformed, but I'm undecided on the whole TULIP thing, and I'd like to hear some sermons from Bible-based preachers who aren't Calvinists for a change. The problem is that it seems most of the famous, solid, and easily-accessible pastors I know are Reformed.

Can anyone recommend solid teaching from pastors who don't necessarily subscribe to Calvinism?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 6836
    Geek-Cred : 56

Re: Non-Reformed Preachers

Post  Paeter on November 26th 2018, 10:41 am

Well, obviously there is bias to consider in this, but I've stayed at our church since High School largely because of the teaching. And while we value some things that came with the reformation, we wouldn't describe ourselves as "Reformed". Here's the Sermons page for my church:

https://subsplash.com/myredmtn/media

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed on November 26th 2018, 6:47 pm

Thanks, Paeter. I actually listened to your pastor's sermon on the first part of John 3 yesterday, I think. Red Mountain doesn't put their sermons on iTunes, do they?
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 853
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on November 27th 2018, 2:05 am

Maybe there's a reason that the preachers who have a high view of Scripture are Reformed.  Very Happy

/troll  

/ducks

Obviously letting my bias be known there.  Smile  But seriously, I used to be pretty anti-Calvinism until eventually I just kept seeing it all over Scripture and could not deny it any longer.  Now, I am not a "5-pointer" like some of the guys you mentioned.  The main point of TULIP that I do not accept Limited Atonement, but the others I have come to believe over the years.

Just saying...your list includes some very solid preachers who are mostly on-target.  Don't give up on them just because of a label.  Ask yourself "are they preaching the Word or not?"  Then the next step is "am I willing to submit to the Word or not?"  I caution to not follow *any* preacher...Calvin, Piper, Osteen, no one... unless what they are saying is the truth from Scripture.  Calvin got things wrong, too, as we all do.

Post  AGoodReed on November 27th 2018, 7:42 am

WhiteBoy wrote:Just saying...your list includes some very solid preachers who are mostly on-target.  Don't give up on them just because of a label.  Ask yourself "are they preaching the Word or not?"  Then the next step is "am I willing to submit to the Word or not?"  I caution to not follow *any* preacher...Calvin, Piper, Osteen, no one... unless what they are saying is the truth from Scripture.  Calvin got things wrong, too, as we all do.

I'm listening to a Piper sermon as I type this, so I don't plan on giving up on any of the Reformed preachers I listen to. I'd just like to prove to myself that non-Calvinists can preach the true Word. Otherwise, I'm afraid I might start shunning them.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on November 27th 2018, 10:17 am

AGoodReed wrote:Thanks, Paeter. I actually listened to your pastor's sermon on the first part of John 3 yesterday, I think. Red Mountain doesn't put their sermons on iTunes, do they?

No it doesn't look like it. Our podcast is on i-tunes, but not the sermons.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on November 27th 2018, 10:23 am

WhiteBoy wrote:Maybe there's a reason that the preachers who have a high view of Scripture are Reformed.  Very Happy

Just saying...your list includes some very solid preachers who are mostly on-target.  Don't give up on them just because of a label.  Ask yourself "are they preaching the Word or not?"  Then the next step is "am I willing to submit to the Word or not?"  I caution to not follow *any* preacher...Calvin, Piper, Osteen, no one... unless what they are saying is the truth from Scripture.  Calvin got things wrong, too, as we all do.

I'd echo this. Even hardcore 5 point Calvanism isn't heresy, and we each have the ability to discern. I have never yet met a single teacher, personally or published, that I don't eventually find a point of disagreement with. Though I DO think that the more a teacher stresses something, the more we ought to explore whether or not that thing is true. I can benefit from a lot of teaching from 5-point Calvanists, unless they choose to really hammer on and emphasize those points I disagree with them on. Otherwise, they can have some great insight, just like a number of non-calvanist teachers do when they aren't screwing it up as well.

Happy hunting as you seek the truth!

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 747
    Geek-Cred : 6

Post  jorowi on November 27th 2018, 6:51 pm

Brian Zahnd
    Walter Brueggemann (not a pastor but he has a lot of audio available from seminars)
    Chuck Smith

I also like listening to Father Mike Schmitz who is certainly not reformed since he's Catholic.

Twitter
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed on November 27th 2018, 10:37 pm

Thanks, John! I used to listen to Chuck Smith a lot, actually. I like that he has sermons for every part of the Bible available online. I might go back to him when I get to another book of the Bible on my reading list.

I hesitate on Brian Zahnd. From what I've read of him, he seems far too liberal.

I might check out Brueggemann, if only to learn how to pronounce his name.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 24th 2019, 12:00 am