The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Baking Day!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5053
    Geek-Cred : 50

Baking Day!

Post  Paeter on December 14th 2010, 2:35 pm

I'm taking the day off today for my annual "Batman Christmas Bake-a-thon". While baking up goodies, I watch Batman Returns (my favorite "Christmas Movie"), supplemented by various animated Christmas specials, (Y'know, like "Christmas With The Joker" and "Holiday Knights" from Batman: The Animated Series, and "Comfort And Joy" from the Justice League Animated Series.) as well as "Terra Firma" and "A Constellation Of Doubt" from season four of Farscape. (They celebrate Christmas during those episodes, between various attempts on their lives and murders of those they love.)

At the moment, Batman Returns is playing and I'm making blueberry muffins. Later today I'll be busting out ingredients for my specialty: Chocolate covered peanut clusters! Woohoo!

www.spiritblade.com

litera9

Activity : 48
    Geek-Cred : 0

Re: Baking Day!

Post  litera9 on December 14th 2010, 6:07 pm

Talk about a Geeky Holiday Tradition! Anyone else got something geeky they do at Christmas?

The closest thing I can think of is that we hide a glass pickle in our tree, and whoever finds it that night gets to open the first gift. It's more uniquely odd than geeky, but that's what I got.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on December 15th 2010, 12:28 pm

litera9 wrote:Talk about a Geeky Holiday Tradition! Anyone else got something geeky they do at Christmas?

The closest thing I can think of is that we hide a glass pickle in our tree, and whoever finds it that night gets to open the first gift. It's more uniquely odd than geeky, but that's what I got.

Wow! How did THAT become a tradition? I've got to know.

www.spiritblade.com

litera9

Activity : 48
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  litera9 on December 15th 2010, 4:26 pm

According toGerman.about.com, it's a fake German tradition. The story is that German parents would hide this pickle ornament, and whoever found it would get an extra gift from St. Nicholas. However, this story is debatable. No evidence exists that proves that this is a German tradition at all. However, stories have risen that attempt to prove it's authenticity.
    Personally, I don't know if it has any historical meaning, but it sure is fun for my family and I.
    We've been doing it for 7-8 years now. You can find these things easily online, if you're interested.

WhiteBoy

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on December 16th 2010, 12:10 pm

Wow...those are great traditions. I think I've tried to start some for our family, but never remember what they are the next year. Sad

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on December 24th 2010, 12:46 am

Here's a picture my sister took of me when I wasn't looking on "Baking Day". And yes, I wear that apron proudly each year of my own free will.

http://paetersbrain.blogspot.com/2010/12/merry-christmas.html

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:17 pm

Current date/time is December 10th 2016, 5:17 pm