The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Standard for script submissions?

Poll

Should we set a standard for script submissions?

[ 2 ]
    100% [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 2

Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Standard for script submissions?

Post  Hackmodford on April 23rd 2011, 1:07 pm

What does everyone think of setting up a standard for script submissions?

I'm working on two stories ATM

One has a very nice clear layout
    The other one everything is centered the direction is unclear.

Personally I like this type of format for a script.
    http://www.ruyasonic.com/wrt_template.htm

When you write this way it makes the director/mixers job a TON easier...

And now that I've experienced it both ways I can confirm this.

Do you think we should set a standard like this? I would like to but I want other opinions....

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50

Re: Standard for script submissions?

Post  Paeter on April 24th 2011, 12:49 am

I like the idea of having a uniform way of listing sound effects cues, etc. Very appealing to me. It's very difficult at times to screen scripts with scene descriptions instead of sound cues.

The only downsides that come to mind are that not everyone uses MS Word and it's an additional hurdle to jump for writers. At the moment, that's not a big deal, since we have more scripts ready to go than mixers to work on them. But I'm hopeful that that will change soon and don't want anything that would put off potentially good submissions.

So there are both real pros and cons. I'm totally open to hearing what others think on this.

www.spiritblade.com

Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford on April 24th 2011, 9:10 am

Remember this isnt limited to word. Its just the formatting thats important. For instance sfx or music is always underlined. Everything is aligned to the left and numbered etc.

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!

jagjenterprise

Activity : 4
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  jagjenterprise on October 27th 2011, 3:29 pm

That form is for a live performance not quite suited for audio drama, imo. I don't know about you guys, but I personally don't like it when the writer tells me what sound effect to use. For me it works better to be told what's happening in the scene. The reason being that the sound you want is not always made by what you might think.

But maybe it's easier for you to have the sound effects listed. Personally when write I describe what's going on but in way that makes it easy to tell what sounds to use. I base my style off of the way Adventures in Odyssey scripts are written.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on October 31st 2011, 9:05 pm

jagjenterprise wrote:That form is for a live performance not quite suited for audio drama, imo. I don't know about you guys, but I personally don't like it when the writer tells me what sound effect to use. For me it works better to be told what's happening in the scene. The reason being that the sound you want is not always made by what you might think.

But maybe it's easier for you to have the sound effects listed. Personally when write I describe what's going on but in way that makes it easy to tell what sounds to use. I base my style off of the way Adventures in Odyssey scripts are written.

I fall into a similar camp on this one. I used to write more detailed descriptions of sounds, but over time I realized, "hey, I'm the one producing this" and so now I'm really lazy and put far fewer SFX notes in.

But if I was writing for someone else, I'd probably go back to more description over simple sound cues. Course, that's also 'cuz I'm a creative control freak and would have trouble trusting my script to another person's artistic interpretation. ;-)

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:52 am

Current date/time is December 8th 2016, 6:52 am