The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

need an idea for super powers

Rickster

Activity : 1940
    Geek-Cred : 16

need an idea for super powers

Post  Rickster on April 29th 2011, 4:17 am

I'm writting a sci-fi super hero story only I don't know what his powers should be. Any ideas?

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Re: need an idea for super powers

Post  Paeter on April 30th 2011, 1:17 am

Rickster wrote:I'm writting a sci-fi super hero story only I don't know what his powers should be. Any ideas?

I think the kind of story you want to tell and the themes you want to play with will help figure that out. Any thoughts on what you hope will make your story unique aside from the power concepts?

www.spiritblade.com

Rickster

Activity : 1940
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on May 1st 2011, 4:05 am

Paeter wrote:
    Rickster wrote:I'm writting a sci-fi super hero story only I don't know what his powers should be. Any ideas?

I think the kind of story you want to tell and the themes you want to play with will help figure that out. Any thoughts on what you hope will make your story unique aside from the power concepts?

Here's what I have so far after a mishap an astronaut finds himself floating in space with no hope when an alien ship from Pluto rescues him. The Plutonians "Adam" never fell like our Adam did but one of his decedents did creating two different types of Plutoians the Pure innocent ones and the corrupt evil ones. The leader of the pure Plutoians' daughter has been kidnapped and they want the astronaut to rescue her (I know cliché) He agrees if they promise to take him back to earth. Which they do and they give him powers to help him and after he rescues her they take him back to earth and let him keep his powers

Some issues that I came up with that the story could deal with is
    The Plutionas can’t understand how The Light (their name for God) came to Earth to save us from our corruption but He hasn't done that for the Plutoians
    Our astronaut being human and sinful feels more "at home" with the corrupt plutoians then he does with the pure ones
    Human cockiness and how they think their requirements for life applies to life on other worlds
    I’m planning on this story to be an origin story that could be used to tell other stories about our superhero on earth, Which would eventually lead to my story about a super villain becoming a Christian

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 2nd 2011, 7:55 pm

When dealing with themes of the sinful nature, one power that works well is mind-reading of some kind. With that device, you could highlight how the unfallen characters are genuinely pure through and through, even in their thoughts, while also exposing the hidden sins of the mind in the astronaut and the fallen aliens.
    That would be a "plot-driven" power anyway. You can always spice things up with extra, unnecessary stuff like "laser eyes" or whatever else you want in your sandbox, too. Have fun!

www.spiritblade.com

WhiteBoy

Activity : 802
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on May 3rd 2011, 9:27 am

One thing I thought of was since it's Pluto, it'd be very cold. You could have a power like Iceman where he can produce ice in whatever formation. Or you could take a "manipulating" ice approach like a water bender in Avatar. This power may have been necessary for him to simply survive the conditions of the planet.

Just a thought. Smile

Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford on May 3rd 2011, 11:25 am

I've always wanted someone to do a super hero that's super power was just water...

Flying with water jets

Shooting streams of water out of his hands

etc.

But how that would fit into your conecpt? I don't know... I like Paeter's idea though...

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on May 3rd 2011, 4:29 pm

Why do the Plutonians need an Earth-born champion?
    Why are they are all the way down to the 3rd rock in the first place?
    Does your superpower enable the plot, as ice-type survival-based powers might?
    Does your superpower enable the theme, as mind-reading might?
    Does your superpower enable the character, as laser-eyes might?

P.S. There's nothing wrong with laser-eyes! cyclops

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels on May 24th 2011, 3:37 pm

I was thinking along the same line as Paeter actually. What if you had the power not specifically to read minds but only to read memories? ie...no idea what they are thinking now but could basically pull out all the historically data from the mind? Might be interesting depending on how you spin it.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on May 24th 2011, 7:19 pm

CreatorsPixels wrote:I was thinking along the same line as Paeter actually. What if you had the power not specifically to read minds but only to read memories? ie...no idea what they are thinking now but could basically pull out all the historically data from the mind? Might be interesting depending on how you spin it.

Nice variation! I dig it!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:33 am

Current date/time is December 5th 2016, 9:33 am