The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Unsure

hvymtlcowboy
    Alliance Member

Activity : 124
    Geek-Cred : 0

Unsure

Post  hvymtlcowboy on July 3rd 2010, 1:46 pm

I've had this idea for an audio drama for some time and I just recently started writing it. Paeter said that I should write something that ties into the world of my book series to help promote interest in it. I had no idea that it was going to turn into such an important part in the series (I am now on Book 3).

The Problem: I am creating a problem that I will eventually resolve in Book 3 of my series. How do I end the audio drama without making it seem like it is unresolved?

In the audio drama, the crew of the Vixen have traveled to a distant planet to terraform it and create their own world. They find the planet inhabited by two types of demons; the spiritual, which only the ones chosen by God can see, and the physical that slumber for most of the story.

The spiritual demons can't harm you unless you let them. They climb onto you and whisper in your ear, making you think these things you are doing are logical rational and your own ideas, when in reality they are manipulating you. They convince some of the crew to sabotage the ship and it crashes onto the Planet. This awakes the physical demons. The survivors have enough energy from the ship to erect a forcefield that will hold the demons at bay for 50 to 100 years (since they can no longer terraform the planet). I end the audio drama here.

The main characters in my book are on the way to rescue these lost believers, they just don't know it yet. They think they are going to this specific planet for a completely different reason. Now if you see what I have written as a whole it all works out. If you just go with the audio drama tho, it may seem like that God has abandoned these people in the midst of these demons. Any suggestions?

Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Re: Unsure

Post  Hackmodford on July 3rd 2010, 2:07 pm

Well at the end you could have a narrator pose a question like?

(this is really stupid here) "So God left the people, abandoned, hopeless, lost... or did he?" (kinda hinting that there's more)

Or you could have the narrator tell that there's books to this series?

Or you could just dramatise all the books Razz

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!

hvymtlcowboy
    Alliance Member

Activity : 124
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  hvymtlcowboy on July 3rd 2010, 2:14 pm

Well I was trying to cut narration down to a minimum. And dramatizing ALL the books would take some work. Not that I would be opposed to it, but I want to finish the WRITING the series first. lol!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on July 3rd 2010, 4:44 pm

hvymtlcowboy wrote:
    If you just go with the audio drama tho, it may seem like that God has abandoned these people in the midst of these demons. Any suggestions?

One possibility would be to inject the theme of "trusting God amidst pain and uncertainty". You could have the characters deal with a number of situations in the story in which they have to trust God and he either comes through to save them or doesn't, but they see later that it was ultimately for the best.

Then, by the end of the story, you'll have the idea set up that God saves us from some things and for the ultimate good does not spare us from others. In the final moments of the script, the characters could be dealing with the fact that they feel abandoned or that they don't know what will come next. But one or more of the characters will have learned to trust God through difficult things. The story ends unresolved, kinda like a twilight zone, but with enough hope and peace about the unknown outcome that the audience can come away and feel like the story doesn't need to continue.

The level of resolution the story has in this scenario would be entirely dependent on how present this theme is in the script. If it is present enough, I think you could have a very satisfying and unique ending on your hands.

I'm sure there are plenty of other good ways to go too, but that's what comes to mind for me.

Good luck!

www.spiritblade.com

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on September 2nd 2010, 1:55 pm

Remember that your story needs to have a complete and self-contained plot of some kind in order to be enjoyed apart from the book. This can be:
    a) The actual story of the crash, setting up the problem and having it resolved by the end of the story. (Probably not desirable in what is essentially a prologue.)
    b) Character arcs - wherein the main character or characters undergoes a transformation of character or capability, instigated by the problem posed in the plot. I would focus on this, and try to tell a single person's story in the midst of this disaster. This kind of storytelling is what made the Twilight Zone work so well - though that show usually focused on stripping away a person's hypocrisy or false self-image. The "plot" becomes a background or setting element, and so does not need to be "resolved" as such.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:26 am

Current date/time is December 7th 2016, 9:26 am