The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Just getting out there...

Nora Freeze

Activity : 16
    Geek-Cred : 0

Just getting out there...

Post  Nora Freeze on June 28th 2011, 4:44 pm

Hello all, I've been a member for a bit, but am not a terribly involved critter at the moment.
    Ahem...
    So, I am Nora (sort of), and I am the biggest geek I know. I write fanfics, I have run an online RP board and I do cosplay. All this and I am a Christian Children's Church teacher that is currently working on getting a degree in TESL so I can go into missions in Asia.
    Yes, so I really am excited there are other "weird" people here to chat with!

So, some interests of mine:
    -Syfy's Tinman (Anything Wizard of Oz)
    -Doctor Who (I've seen almost all the classic episodes! Beat that!)
    -Star Trek (TOS, VGR)
    -LOTR
    -Narnia (Not so into the newer movies)
    -Lady in the Water
    -I-Man (Little known TV series)
    -Leverage
    -Hook
    -Beauty and the Beast
    -Sherlock Holmes (Just about anything)
    -Batman the Animated Series (The old AWESOME one)
    -Alice in Wonderland (Not the stupid Burton one!!!)
    -Superman/Spiderman/X-men
    -Comics! (A girl comic collector? Can it be? Oh yes.)
    -Prosthetic make-up
    Oh heavens, so many more things. I am probably missing some important bit of geekdom. Oh well. Good enough.

Things I don't like:
    -TEXT TALK. Gah!
    -Tomatoes. (Are they really a fruit!?)
    -Cluttered things. I have moments of severe OCD when it comes to keeping things clean!
    -Trying to be normal
    -Awkward silences. They make me want to say something, or explode into uncontrolled giggles
    -Swearing
    -Random Bedroom scenes...they are really NEVER needed to move the plot along and they're gross. (No, I am not a kid. I am in my 20's, thanks)
    -Uhm, Being late to things. I hate being late. I am very meticulous about being EARLY to everything.

ANYWAY, that's a basic idea of me without giving away any identifiable info! So, hope to talk geek and get well involved with this site as time goes on! Smile

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Re: Just getting out there...

Post  mindspike on June 28th 2011, 6:55 pm

Tomatoes really are a fruit.
    I stress that they are not the implements of Santurnian Nebulords seeking to colonize other worlds through the ingenious but doomed plan of embedding their progeny in tasty treats they mistakenly took for the dominant life form of the planet.
    It is only a fruit.
    ...um...
    ...so...
    Some weather we're having, huh? silent

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44

Post  Nathan James Norman on June 28th 2011, 11:57 pm

Nora Freeze wrote:-Lady in the Water

I thought I was the only one who loved this film! I cry like a baby every time!

Nora Freeze

Post  Nora Freeze on June 30th 2011, 9:52 am

Mindspike, I am now very comforted and not at all afraid of these (and I stress the word), "FRUIT". I am comforted as I now know I have nothing to fear from them, and should be all the more willing to allow them into my home as they in no way, shape, or form wish any harm on me or my planet.

Nathan James Norman wrote:
    Nora Freeze wrote:-Lady in the Water

I thought I was the only one who loved this film! I cry like a baby every time!

No, it's just a fantastic movie. At first I felt cheated when it ended so suddenly, but it's grown on me to the point where I just love it for the characters. I mean, the casting was wonderful, and for all the weirdness, each of those people seemed like someone you could meet, (or have met). It is a beautiful movie... and I usually go for movies with things blowing up and car chases!

WhiteBoy

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on July 1st 2011, 9:43 am

Hey, Nora. Welcome! Sounds like you've found the right spot to me... a Christian geek! Smile

My daughter recently got Beauty and the Beast for her birthday so I've been reacquainted with it. I hadn't seen it since high school and I gotta say... it's one of my favorite Disney movies.

Post  Guest on July 6th 2011, 6:19 pm

Nora Freeze wrote:
    -Doctor Who (I've seen almost all the classic episodes! Beat that!)

Aww, bless; this little nugget just jumped out at me! Hmmm. Looks like a challenge. Should I take this up? Hmmmm. This is like that character thing that Marty McFly goes through in the second and third Back to the Future movies, isn't it, where he can't leave things alone if anyone calls him chicken?

Must...resist...can beat that...no, resist...! bounce

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on July 6th 2011, 6:35 pm

Nora Freeze wrote:
    -I-Man (Little known TV series)

The one with Scott Bakula about the guy who can heal from any injury? I thought they only made the pilot! (Which I LOVED as a kid) Is the series or pilot on DVD/Blu-ray? Or are you talking about something totally different and I'm referring to any even lesser known TV oddity?

www.spiritblade.com

Nora Freeze

Post  Nora Freeze on July 8th 2011, 1:35 pm

-I love that Beauty and the Beast has a complex Prince. Just about every other Disney classic has "HI! I rode in to kiss you and save the day. MARRY ME!" and that's about it. I think that Belle and Beast are enjoyable characters that each have issues. I like that. (Which is exactly my deep hatred of Twilight. Bella is about the most Mary-Sue, bland, idiotic star-into-space critter I have ever seen. And Edward is just there to be angsty and a love interest.*I was LIED to by a good friend of mine, she told the 1st Twilight was an "action fantasy movie"...WRONG. So, unfortunately I wasted part of my life watching that movie with her.)Anyway, that random rant aside. Yes, love Beauty and the Beast. My Mom used to love the old Live action TV series of it, so I bought the DVDs and tried to watch it...I couldn't get over the incredible amount of poetry reading. Neat concept, way too much love and too little action.

-Desert Kris- Haha! You dare to challenge the sheer level of my Whovian nature? No, really, I am a bit fan of the old series, skipped most of 3's episodes though, something about him annoyed me. I have seen all of 5,6,7's and the TV movie, along with a large bit of 4's run and all the new series. Unfortunately, only bits of 1 and 2's episodes exist. So, I've watched some of those. Audio books redeem poor 6 & 7's run for the most part. *Take a breath!* Whew, Yeah, so Doctor Who... Like Star Trek for people who love British shows. (Possibly better in quite a few regards). Can they really be compared-no! Stop...I have rambled enough. Laughing

-Wow, no, not the Scott Bakula one. Smile Although, I did see part of that old pilot and know what you're talking about. No, this was on for 2 seasons and it is about a convict that gets a gland put in his head that makes him go invisible. It also makes him go insane if he uses it too long. He's recruited by the government to be an agent for them rather than go to jail for life. It's sort of cheap looking, but most of the writing is clever, the characters are pretty off-beat/odd and the main character/hero/anti-hero? isn't the normal boring sort. It's pretty good.

Post  Guest on July 8th 2011, 6:54 pm

Nora Freeze wrote:Haha! You dare to challenge the sheer level of my Whovian nature? No, really, I am a bit fan of the old series, skipped most of 3's episodes though, something about him annoyed me. I have seen all of 5,6,7's and the TV movie, along with a large bit of 4's run and all the new series. Unfortunately, only bits of 1 and 2's episodes exist. So, I've watched some of those. Audio books redeem poor 6 & 7's run for the most part. *Take a breath!* Whew, Yeah, so Doctor Who... Like Star Trek for people who love British shows. (Possibly better in quite a few regards). Can they really be compared-no! Stop...I have rambled enough. Laughing

Shocked

Those are fighting words! It's open season, now!

I own almost all the stories that are out on DVD (although I'm not as big into the black and white era of the first two Doctors, I have accumulated the major milestone stories). The TV movie finally got released in the U.S., which makes me very happy. So, am I to gather that you've listened to some of the audios? You're right, they give Doctors Six and Seven a chance to do better stuff than the original TV show's production staff gave them (although some of Seven's darker stories hold a lot of promise).

The Books, they can't be underestimated! Roughly 60 novels about Seven, more than 70 novels about number Eight from the TV movie, and about that many original novels + change for all the prior Doctors. Then there is the short running series of novellas, followed by spin-off stories from one of them. There was also the Faction Paradox spin-off from the Eighth Doctor novels, a further series of novels and audiodrama (great stuff, the dark corners of a version of the Doctor Who universe, with glimpses at what a Time War looks like). Some people credit the novels that were written between the new and old show as kind of a test-bed for story concepts and approaches which eventually manifested in the way the new version of the show has been conceived and implemented. I have plenty of non-fiction, too. And, crazy enough, those short novelizations of the old TV stories, for when the fans of the old show didn't have video players to watch the stories again. Collections of the comics!

I've submitted some writing to a couple of non-fiction books about DW fans, one was published a couple years ago, and the more recent submission should be printed early next year.

It took me a while to appreciate Doctor number Three, too. He is not as eccentric as some of the Doctors, but there is so much heart in the actor, and his production team. Jon Pertwee came from a comedy radio background, but he wanted to take DW very seriously. He didn't shy away from humor, though, and his humor is warm and understated. Plus, he was way cool! He was a middle aged actor who loved gadgets and gizmos and tech-y stuff, karate, and fast vehicles, and doing his own stunts (anecdotally, he had a tatoo in the Navy after a hard drinking memory blackout, which was probably a bit more scandalous in those days)! Cool At the same time, he also treated the character of the Doctor with responsibility when it came to kids who looked up to the Doctor, ethics-wise. As for the show's production during his time, well, they did fair chunks of outdoor filming, so a lot of his stories have a great film look to them (as opposed to video, used for in-studio). The writers were obvious with their scientific morality stories, but their hearts and minds were in the right place. When I watch his stories, a major component of enjoying them for me is that behind the scenes Jon Pertwee enjoyed it so much, and put such energy into it, and strove to make the working environment a joy for all of his co-workers. He is not my favorite Doctor, and it's not my favorite era of the show, but the undercurrent of enthusiasm is the perfect comfort remedy for those times when I enter the long, dark tea-time of the soul.

At this point, I've really gone crazy with my own rambling. Ah, competition aside, let's forget it. You like DW, I like DW. I don't want to compete, let's be friends instead. Very Happy

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on July 8th 2011, 7:47 pm

[quote="Desert Kris"]
    Nora Freeze wrote:

At this point, I've really gone crazy with my own rambling. Ah, competition aside, let's forget it. You like DW, I like DW. I don't want to compete, let's be friends instead. Very Happy

Plenty of room for Dr. Who lovin' around here! I'm learning to appreciate how much more it is taking off in the US as I hear from more and more of you passionate fans.

My only claim to participation in Dr. Who nerdiness is that many many moons ago (High school? College?) Desert Kris ran me through one or two solo adventures of a Dr. Who paper and pencil RPG he had. Lots of fun!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:56 am

Current date/time is December 8th 2016, 6:56 am