The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Should I Wait To Chime In?

Poll

Should I Wait To Post My Opinions Until Others have Posted First?

[ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    25% [25%] 
    [ 6 ]
    75% [75%] 

Total Votes: 8

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5017
    Geek-Cred : 50

Should I Wait To Chime In?

Post  Paeter on November 28th 2011, 12:40 pm

I've been wondering for awhile what my role should be here on the forums and I'd like some feedback.

I like being present and available for people to chat with, but sometimes I fear that I may be chiming in with my thoughts too soon and potentially cutting off good conversation.

I think of this forum as just as much for everyone else as it is for me personally. But I am also unavoidably the "man behind the curtain" and this forum probably wouldn't be here if I wasn't running Spirit Blade Productions. So there may be a slight intimidation factor for some folks.

Sometimes it may not be an issue, such as when we're talking about some fan/geek related preference. (vampires are cooler than werewolves, etc.) Other times, such as on the "Seeking Truth" forum or when responding to thoughts about my audio dramas etc., I'm afraid that when I share an opinion or a conclusion I've come to, people are more hesitant to respond in disagreement and my word becomes "the final word", which I don't want to have to be the case.

Now, there are a few of you who I happen to know for a fact aren't the least bit hesitant to post on here in disagreement with me no matter what the topic. And I'm certainly interested in your feedback. But I've also put up the poll as an option for those silent folks who would like to anonymously give their feedback on this one.

My aim is to make the forums as welcoming and active as possible. I'm happy to hold back a little or a lot on posting if that will somehow help.

Thanks for your input everybody!

www.spiritblade.com

WhiteBoy

Activity : 800
    Geek-Cred : 12

Re: Should I Wait To Chime In?

Post  WhiteBoy on November 28th 2011, 3:35 pm

I voted "Maybe."

On one side, sometimes waiting for someone else to reply would mean you're waiting forever. So I'd say *if* you decide to wait, I wouldn't wait too long. You may be the only one concerned enough to respond about that topic, AND your response can serve as a catalyst for more discussion. If all I have is a "me too," I tend to just not respond. Occasionally I do anyway on this particular forum because of what I view as my role here. But if you then add your thoughts *that* may stir up an actual reply from me like "I agree with Nathan, but Paeter's WAY off and here's why."

In a different vein, I tend to only respond to topics that really speak to me or topics that I'm very interested in and am passionate about. Again because of my role here, I need to work on that and respond more.

In the end, the life of a forum -- the "community" feel it can bring -- is in the activity of it. So the more posts people make, the better. Even if it's just a "me too" (that was to myself). And since, like you said, you're ultimately the "man behind the curtain"... I wouldn't hold back too much.

CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels on November 29th 2011, 2:55 pm

Nah. I often post looking forward to your thoughts on the subject. I don't think you need to be the first to always respond, but if you feel the need to reply I say do it! I personally wouldn't expect anything less from you.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on November 29th 2011, 6:07 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:I voted "Maybe."

Do you mean that literally? The thingy seems to be saying that no one has voted yet. But maybe I'm not looking in the right place. (Good grief, I have no idea what I'm doing, do I?)

Hackmodford, any idea where we look to see the current voting results?

www.spiritblade.com

WhiteBoy

Activity : 800
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on November 29th 2011, 7:35 pm

Yes. I see the poll results at the top of this thread.

LOL... would love to be a fly on the wall watching you try to edit your audio. affraid Razz

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on November 30th 2011, 4:10 pm

Oh wait. There's a button that says "View Results". I wonder if that has anything to do with how I can see the results of the poll. (Sigh. I am SO in the wrong line of work.)

WhiteBoy wrote:
    LOL... would love to be a fly on the wall watching you try to edit your audio. affraid Razz

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic. Especially every now and then when a buddy of mine who knows audio better than me says, "Oh, you're doing that? Y'know you could save yourself three hours of work every day by just pushing this button." It's a strange blend of embarrassment and gratitude.

www.spiritblade.com

Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub on December 3rd 2011, 10:34 am

Paeter, when it comes to when you respond to someone's post/topic, I'd say you should post when you feel it appropriate, whether that is based on how passionate you are on a topic (the geek/fan stuff), how strong the Lord is speaking on your heart about the topic (seeking the Truth), or just how impulsive you are (react before thought response).

There's no guidelines or written rules (or etiqutte) that says when a post is appropriate or not. Many a time, I find your input on a thread insightful and valuable. Worth more time contemplating my own response or just internally contemplating.

Not to say that no one else has posts and insights that are not worth the same attention. Everyone's input is always valued.

I'd say, follow what God says to your heart and spirit.

Tim

Activity : 248
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Tim on December 12th 2011, 9:34 am

I agree with WhiteBoy.

In essence "Me Too!" LOL

I think it should be judged topic by topic. Depending on the subject and thread you might want to hold up until one or two people post. Certainly on the Biblical threads I think it would be smart to not be the first to post, but ultimately i thinks its better if you just act like another member of the community on the boards.

Like WhiteBoy, I know I need to post more. That's something I'm definitely going to try to do.

><>

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

PS 144:1
    1COR 4:20

><>

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:45 am

Current date/time is December 3rd 2016, 1:45 am