The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Here I am!

cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Here I am!

Post  cleireac on January 6th 2012, 6:33 pm

Actually, this is my introduction to the list. (Paeter, apparently I was able to get my issues resolved and I made it to the Forums! Thanks for doing what you could to help)

My name is Hank and my screen name is really from my SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) persona Cleireac of Inisliath, an 11th c. Irish monk.

In addition to medieval history, I also tend to geek out over SF, Fantasy, and pulp-era adventure.

Loved the original Star Wars trilogy (not so much the prequels), and am only slightly fluent in Star Trek. I'm conversant in Battlestar Galactica (both incarnations), and just barely conversant in Dr. Who (any series). I'm also somewhat conversant in comic books.

I role play (pen and paper) when I can, my favorite rpg being Risus: The Anything RPG by S. John Ross. I have played AD&D (1e), Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Car Wars, GURPS, and Pathfinder.

I have been gravitating more toward secret history and conspiracy theory-type fiction (thanks to Kenneth Hite)

My all-time favorite movies are Fritz Lang's Metropolis and The Princess Bride, followed by Big Trouble in Little China and the Thin Man series

Currently, I enjoy:
    Warehouse 13
    Burn Notice
    Covert Affairs
    Leverage
    Ghost Hunters
    Fact or Faked
    Brad Meltzer's Decoded

I also enjoy classic old-time radio series, like The Shadow, The Voyage of the Scarlet Queen (which I believe was an influence on Star Trek TOS), The Adventures of Rocky Jordan and Chandu, the Magician.

I've recently become reacquainted and enamored with the Max Headroom television series from 1987.

I hold a BA in Radio/Television/Film and am ordained, but for the last few years have been working for my denomination in an administrative capacity.

There you go. Do with the info what you will.

WhiteBoy

Activity : 801
    Geek-Cred : 12

Re: Here I am!

Post  WhiteBoy on January 7th 2012, 2:53 am

Sweet... Welcome aboard, Hank! Sounds like you've landed in the right community. Smile There's several interested that you have in common with people here. Personally, I like Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, role-playing (though I'm not active right now), and movies.

One of that things that pique my interest in your description is the the movies you list as your favorites. The Princess Bride is such a great movie! However, it's pretty common (in my circles, anyway) to find people who like that one. BUT your listing the Thin Man movies... I don't think I've ever heard anyone list those as some of their favorites. Probably mostly because they are so old. Regardless...I love these movies! My wife introduced me to them, and they all grabbed me...some more than others, but... The chemistry between them is great; they play off each other so well. Man, I'm going to have to go watch those again...classics!

Anyway, welcome, and I look forward to talking with you more.

Chad

cleireac

Post  cleireac on January 7th 2012, 12:17 pm

Thanks for the welcome. For some reason, TCM runs the Thin Man series every year around Christmas, but I own the set. I think I gravitate toward it 'cause I like the chemistry (as you mention), and I really like the pulp era, where the series is set.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on January 9th 2012, 8:49 pm

cleireac wrote:Thanks for the welcome. For some reason, TCM runs the Thin Man series every year around Christmas, but I own the set. I think I gravitate toward it 'cause I like the chemistry (as you mention), and I really like the pulp era, where the series is set.

Okay, looks like I'm gonna have to google this Thin Guy stuff if TWO people here really dig on it.

Welcome, Cleireac! Glad you were able to find a workaround to get on here! And extra points from me for diggin' Big Trouble In Little China. I LOVE fish out of water characters, like Jack Burton, John Chricton, Condorman, The Man Who Knew Too Little, etc. And "Trouble" is a genre classic! (Still hoping for a sequel!)

www.spiritblade.com

Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub on January 9th 2012, 8:58 pm

Paeter wrote: And "Trouble" is a genre classic! (Still hoping for a sequel!)

Only if Kurt reprises his Jack role. Can't hand it off to someone else, can't have someone else step into his character. gotta be Kurt.

And speaking of, I miss John Criton and Aeryn Sun, Ka D'argo, Pilot. And Moya. Such a great series.

cleireac

Post  cleireac on January 10th 2012, 9:44 am

The Thin Man series is one of the best film franchises EVER. It is actually misnamed, in that the original 'Thin Man' was a moniker given by the newspapers to a suspect sought by the police in the first film. Somehow it became linked to the main character, Nick Charles (played by William Powell).

The first film, The Thin Man was based on a story by Dashiell Hammet. Nick Charles is a retired Police Detective who is now married to a wealthy heiress, Nora (played by Myrna Loy). All Nick wants to do is spend the days quietly enjoying his new life. Nora often encourages him to take cases because she loves the adventure.

One of the reasons I love it is because I find it refreshing to see a couple portrayed in a Hollywood film that truly love and respect each other. They have the most fun playful banter between each other, and whoever wrote the dialogue had a fabulous ear for it.

Also, the series contains the only time (that I'm aware of)
    Spoiler:
    where Jimmy Stewart plays the villain.

Now, on the surface of it, it would appear that the series is not really 'geeky' enough for fans of SF or fantasy; how about these connections: Dean Stockwell, who played Al in Quantam Leap and other roles in the Stargate and Star Trek franchises, played Nick Charles Jr. in Song of the Thin Man (1947), and Myrna Loy played Fah So Lee in the Mask of Fu Manchu (1932, with Boris Karloff as the title character).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:11 am

Current date/time is December 4th 2016, 3:11 am