Lookin' For A City

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5019
    Geek-Cred : 50

Lookin' For A City

Post  Paeter on January 9th 2012, 10:44 pm

(Copied here from my blog)

Back from my Christmas break and ready to crack open my brain for you once again.

This time, you get a dose of the "musical performance" that's been running through my head ever since my wife cursed me with the link to it.

I get such mixed feelings from watching videos like John Daker and this one. I cringe, I laugh in shock and disbelief, I get frustrated with the stereotype of Christians being perpetuated... the list of conflicting feelings and reactions goes on. I'm left in state of befuddlement where I don't know how to respond except to say... what the crap.

Enjoy!

www.spiritblade.com

Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Re: Lookin' For A City

Post  Hackmodford on January 10th 2012, 11:34 am

Sorry I can't watch...

Though this does remind me of the argument... "Well he's singing for God and that's all God cares about" to which I think of the counter argument "Bad art... is bad art and does not glorify God."

Any thoughts?

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 10th 2012, 6:36 pm

Hackmodford wrote:Sorry I can't watch...

Though this does remind me of the argument... "Well he's singing for God and that's all God cares about" to which I think of the counter argument "Bad art... is bad art and does not glorify God."

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I think quality of art is relative to what an audience member has been exposed to. Though it's hard for me to imagine that those listening in the video thought this was even "average". Then again, I have no sense of the place, people or culture from which this video originates. I would say, though, that it's potential online is to do more harm than good.

And I agree with your argument. Michael E. Bryce (Isaiah Daniels, "Spirit Blade") once said to a woman praising the movie "The Omega Code" with the same argument, "Ma'am? There is nothing glorifying to God about bad art."

God can do whatever he wants and use whatever he wants, but it's beyond me how this video could reflect on him positively as it is.

www.spiritblade.com

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on January 11th 2012, 3:32 pm

Hackmodford wrote:Bad art... is bad art and does not glorify God.

I don't know about Paeter or Hack, but my refrigerator is covered in papers with drawings in crayon, pencil, and marker. I have a desk drawer *full* of neatly files stories written earnestly in marker and colored pencil. My hard drive has an entire section of audio files (recorded either covertly or blatantly) of my children playing or singing.

This art is not high quality. I would not consider it eligible for publication. I don't think it deserves archiving or display for its artistic expression or value. Much of it is, in fact, utterly nonsensical or incoherent. When compared to the art that I create or enjoy, it falls incomparably short in every way.

I am nonetheless extremely proud of it. It glorifies me in my role as father. I torture my friends and family by subjecting them to it. I praise my children for creating it. I encourage them to create more.

=====

How good is our art?

Do your paintings match a sunset is scope, scale, breadth, and vision?

Is your music as spontaneous and emotional as the combination of birds, brooks, and wind?

Does my writing encompass the intricacy and complexity of quantum physics and an independent living social dynamic?

All of creation is God's artistic expression.

Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker Suite", Michelangelo's "David", and Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" are pinned by God's fridge by a magnet made of starstuff.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 11th 2012, 7:46 pm

mindspike wrote:
    Hackmodford wrote:Bad art... is bad art and does not glorify God.

I don't know about Paeter or Hack, but my refrigerator is covered in papers with drawings in crayon, pencil, and marker. I have a desk drawer *full* of neatly files stories written earnestly in marker and colored pencil. My hard drive has an entire section of audio files (recorded either covertly or blatantly) of my children playing or singing.

This art is not high quality. I would not consider it eligible for publication. I don't think it deserves archiving or display for its artistic expression or value. Much of it is, in fact, utterly nonsensical or incoherent. When compared to the art that I create or enjoy, it falls incomparably short in every way.

I am nonetheless extremely proud of it. It glorifies me in my role as father. I torture my friends and family by subjecting them to it. I praise my children for creating it. I encourage them to create more.

Definitely see your point. I think the simplistic one liner "bad art doesn't glorify God" is targeted at art that fails in its intended purpose and is perceived as bad or unpleasant by those receiving it, when they are meant to take pleasure from it. I don't think your children's artwork fits this category, since it gives you pleasure and they weren't intending to put it on public display for consideration as art by mainstream standards. (If they were, then of course you'll have to let them down gently, dad.)

There is so much that is subjective about art, that the statement "bad art doesn't glorify god" can easily be picked apart for its inconsistencies just by calling into question the word "bad". So I think the real issue is, did it succeed in its intent?

Maybe the slogan could more precisely be stated "art that does not have its intended effect, but instead brings displeasure to its audience is not glorifying to God". Course, that doesn't roll off the tongue quite as nicely, does it? ;-)

www.spiritblade.com

WhiteBoy

Activity : 802
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on January 11th 2012, 10:00 pm

Oh, my! That's all I'm gonna say about that. That and it reminds me of this.

Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford on January 12th 2012, 10:07 am

I almost get the impression that this really wasn't her fault. Granted I'm not sure how you play the trumpet... but I don't think you can play it out of tune can you?

My conclusion is that she played along just fine but someone was simply out of tune. My reason I think this is because she was consistently flat and not all over.

But again the whole dancing thing is kinda jocolor

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on January 12th 2012, 6:58 pm

Wow. I think I may have seen a fraction of that video before but blocked it out of my head. Seeing it again was... yikes.

Been awhile since I was in the school band, but I'm guessing her trumpet got out of tune and she didn't check it before going out. Though even what she played didn't sound very solid. As though she just learned how to play that one little bit just to have a "talent" for the competition. But who knows. Only those who google her name, I suppose. (No, I'm not gonna do it... at the moment.)

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:35 am

Current date/time is December 5th 2016, 9:35 am