The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

I enjoy nonsense

dazzy66

Activity : 13
    Geek-Cred : 0

I enjoy nonsense

Post  dazzy66 on January 31st 2012, 9:08 pm

I'm always interested in reading letters to the editors in magazines based on subjects near to me (i miss those letters once found at the end of comic book from years past).I liked the idea that a letter overcame a number of obstacles to actually find a printing press.It made the thoughts expressed seem to hold more value.Don't get me wrong some comments and ideas expressed on message boards can be thought provoking (like the ones here Smile )! But, alas it seems the You Tube like has invaded the printed page.I was reading one such letter recently in Comic Buyers Guide that caught my attention.
    This letter was directed at a comic book writer and his story.Basically,a fan was reading the riot act to this irresponsible writer for not screaming at his audience, for being the monsters that they are, purposely destroying our environment at every opportunity(because there was a lake or something in this story).It wasn't just the criticism,it was the condescending attitude,the name calling,the over-the-top disrespectful tone.Let me make this clear-- I applaud any writer who feels compelled to broach a subject through there work,,if they feel they can make a difference.What troubles me is the attitude that it is somehow unethical for an entertainer to just entertain. As if the mere idea deserves an apology.
    This attitude seems to be prevalent in the comic book industry.If there is one word i'm sick of: Realism .If its dark,cynical,and guilt-ridden its considered real.If is surreal,idyllic,happily-ever-after its considered make-believe.I never would have become a follower of Christ without believing in the happily-ever-after thing.Its become as real to me as what I see on Fox News.Was the EMO thing of Spiderman 3 any more realistic Than the idealism of Spiderman.By the way I have an Uncle Ben and Aunt May in my family.
    I grew up in a abusive,violent surrounding as a child(like so many)and watching The Flash fight off giant hands (Flash #236 vol.1)was a valuable bit of escapism That allowed me to maintain my sanity as a child.So yes,escapism was very much a part of my reality.Listen,the golden-age Leave It To Beaver stuff may seem a bit too corny,but in some ways our current Dystopian Age of comics can be narrow-minded also. The industry of comics seems to crave extremes.

In closing,yes,i really love being depressed,sad,and pessimistic with films like The Dark Knight.I also love the sheer giddiness of The Fantastic Four(although the reboot will must likely be as depressing as other contemporaries). I would like to see a bit less condescension towards artist whose sole purpose is to entertain.
    Phil.4;8 --- whatever is true,noble,right,pure,lovely, admirable,think on these things.I would like to see more of the things in entertainment is all I'm saying.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5053
    Geek-Cred : 50

Re: I enjoy nonsense

Post  Paeter on January 31st 2012, 11:25 pm

dazzy66 wrote:
    Phil.4;8 --- whatever is true,noble,right,pure,lovely, admirable,think on these things.I would like to see more of the things in entertainment is all I'm saying.

Totally agree with you, dazzy. And the scripture quoted is among my favorites when navigating the realms of entertainment.

God created fun, too! And there's nothing wrong with having it or producing it for it's own sake! The kinda stuff I produce definitely has a message, but only because I see a niche needing to be filled that I'm wired for. But when I watched my new-from-the-shrink-wrap "The Thing" Blu-ray this afternoon, there was nothing poignant or philosophical about my enjoyment of it. Just giddy, nerdly excitement.

Thanks for posting on this!

www.spiritblade.com

mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 697
    Geek-Cred : 38

Post  mindspike on February 1st 2012, 5:33 pm

Paeter wrote:But when I watched my new-from-the-shrink-wrap "The Thing" Blu-ray this afternoon, there was nothing poignant or philosophical about my enjoyment of it. Just giddy, nerdly excitement.

Now see, I would have put "The Thing" squarely into the category of "dark and cynical". Some of my favorite movies for pure entertainment are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Thunderbirds, and Ivanhoe.

Opposing Forces powered by Fate!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:52 am

Current date/time is December 11th 2016, 6:52 am