The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central


    Earrings And Tattoos

    Share

    PhoenixFire

    Posts : 44
    Activity : 67
    Geek-Cred : 3
    Join date : 2011-10-23
    Age : 23

    Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  PhoenixFire on June 27th 2012, 4:40 pm

    I personally have no intention or plan to get either tattoos or any sort of body piercing, but it's something that's been on my mind a bit lately. I've always been told that they (more so tattoos then earrings) are evil and symbolize a mark of enslavement to the world. But that argument doesn’t really seem valid to me.

    What are your thoughts on earrings (Or body piercing in general) and tattoos? Does the Bible say anything about them? Should Christians have them? Does it matter?

    WhiteBoy
    Moderator

    Posts : 686
    Activity : 803
    Geek-Cred : 12
    Join date : 2010-06-29
    Age : 43
    Location : Arkansas

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  WhiteBoy on June 27th 2012, 6:15 pm

    I'm not an authority on Bible history. If I remember right, a long time ago (OT times) earrings were signs of being a slave. I don't think it was in particularly a symbol of being a "slave the the world" though. But rather kinda like branding, I'm assuming.

    As for tatoos, I think there may be support for not having them found in the OT laws. But that is the same laws that we are freed from in the NT (Romans 14).

    So as far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with either one, but the hangup that some have with those things are due to cultural and/or traditional reasons, not Biblical. If they are tried to justify it with OT laws, it pretty much is legalism and our human nature/pride trying to point at someone else and say "See, I'm better than they are because I don't do that."

    FWIW, I have no piercings or tattoos. Smile

    P. S. Our pastor actually talked about this when we covered Romans 14. It was very interesting because our church is a very traditional and conservative church. So our pastor wasn't exactly preaching to what you'd consider a receptive crowd. But our people received it very well, and I believe changed how they thought about these things. If you want to listen to the sermons, they started on February 19th - http://www.oakcliffbaptist.com/wordpress/date/2012/02.


    Last edited by WhiteBoy on August 5th 2012, 12:06 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fixing link)


    _________________

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3491
    Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  Paeter on June 28th 2012, 1:29 pm

    WhiteBoy wrote:

    P. S. Our pastor actually talked about this when we covered Romans 14. It was very interesting because our church is a very traditional and conservative church. So our pastor wasn't exactly preaching to what you'd consider a receptive crowd. But our people received it very well, and I believe changed how they thought about these things.

    That's really cool to hear about!


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    Rickster

    Posts : 1191
    Activity : 1942
    Geek-Cred : 16
    Join date : 2010-07-05
    Age : 33

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  Rickster on June 28th 2012, 11:10 pm

    I don't have a problem with them. In fact I want to get a tattoo but my mom hates them and I think it would be wrong for me to get one while I live with her. So out of respect for her I'm waiting to get one until I move out.

    DNArington

    Posts : 547
    Activity : 731
    Geek-Cred : 28
    Join date : 2012-02-01

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  DNArington on June 29th 2012, 2:02 am

    I pretty much agree with WhiteBoy on this one. (I haven't listened to the sermon(s) yet.)

    I personally have no interest in getting a tatoo (except maybe for a wedding ring...maybe.)

    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

    Posts : 571
    Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44
    Join date : 2010-07-06

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  Nathan James Norman on June 29th 2012, 10:45 am

    As a pastor I really don't have any theological issues with piercings or tattoos.

    However, I do offer up some wisdom to consider for everyone before undergoing either of these endeavors (but particularly tattoos)

    (Please note, this is wisdom . . . not rules)

    1. What image am I communicating to those around me?

    2. If it's a tattoo, think long and hard about what you're getting and why. (I'm talking months here, not hours).

    3. Don't get the name of a boyfriend or girlfriend! (Treat it like sex . . . this isn't going to happen unless we get married).

    4. If you're going to get a tattoo of a Greek or Hebrew Bible-quote, for the love of Paeter . . . check with a Greek or Hebrew scholar BEFORE getting the tattoo. Don't rely on the tattoo artist to get it right. And if you fail to check with a scholar fist, don't go and show the language scholar after the fact and expect him or her to go along with your reading of the text so they don't hurt your feelings!

    5. Realize that certain groups and companies can legally discriminate against hiring people with tattoos. (Sometimes even if they're not visible). I have a friend in law enforcement who has to wear a long-sleeved uniform in the hot, humid summers because his arm tattoos cannot be visible.

    6. Will your future spouse or significant other like or dislike your tattoos? I know that it's your body and you can do whatever you'd like to it . . . but if you want to have a serious relationship in the future, you need to realize that every good relationship lasts because both parties give themselves to the other person. (I do however, have a couple of friends who are married and they love "body art" and are often getting new tattoos . . . but they decide on them together.)

    7. Women: your skin is beautiful, way more beautiful than any tattoo. Think about that before you decide to permanently cover it up.

    8. Men: your skin (and entire body, actually) are disgusting and covered with sweaty, matted hair. Do whatever you can to hide your skin. Tattoo your entire body if possible. (Just kidding about this one . . .).


    I know it might sound that I'm against them . . . but I'm really not. I'm against foolishly getting something permanent that hasn't been well thought out.

    And seriously Greek and Hebrew are cool ("the only good language is a dead language"), but check with someone who knows the languages. Don't trust your tattoo artist.

    PhoenixFire

    Posts : 44
    Activity : 67
    Geek-Cred : 3
    Join date : 2011-10-23
    Age : 23

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  PhoenixFire on June 29th 2012, 11:21 am

    Awesome! Thanks everybody for you responses!

    WhiteBoy wrote:If I remember right, a long time ago (OT times) earrings were signs of being a slave. I don't think it was in particularly a symbol of being a "slave the the world" though.

    No it doesn’t say "Slave to the world" but it always seems inferred when talking about it with Christians (Present Company excluded Smile) like you can't get a tattoo to signify that you're a slave to Jesus.


    WhiteBoy wrote:So as far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with either one, but the hangup that some have with those things are due to cultural and/or traditional reasons, not Biblical. If they are tried to justify it with OT laws, it pretty much is legalism and our human nature/pride trying to point at someone else and say "See, I'm better than they are because I don't do that."

    Yea, I grew up in a church that was like that.

    WhiteBoy
    Moderator

    Posts : 686
    Activity : 803
    Geek-Cred : 12
    Join date : 2010-06-29
    Age : 43
    Location : Arkansas

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  WhiteBoy on June 29th 2012, 11:27 am

    Great pieces of advice Nathan!


    _________________

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3491
    Activity : 5031
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  Paeter on July 31st 2012, 12:44 am

    Great Wisdom, Nathan! Thanks!

    Got an e-mail question about this today and directed them here after sharing some of my thoughts. Figured I'd post it all here to add to the discussion.



    Here was the question:

    I was doing some research on piercings and tattoos and I was trying to find what the bible had to say about them?



    And here was my response:

    Great question!

    If you've ever heard someone say that the Bible teaches against tattoos, chances are they heard that from somebody who heard that from somebody (repeat 100x)...who read Leviticus 19:28-

    "You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord."

    You can dig up a similar verse for earrings, though it escapes me right now.

    Of course this law was directed to a specific people group at a specific time in history, and God himself acknowledged that the law given during this time period was less than ideal and would be replaced by a superior law.

    Jeremiah 31:31-34- "Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the LORD. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."

    These laws were not meant to be lasting and binding for all people and for all time. Even the Hebrews that these laws were given to are meant to live free of them today.

    Galatians 3:23-24- Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith.

    Romans 10:4- For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

    Instead of all the dietary and customary regulations followed in the Old Testament (or the Tanakh as modern Jews refer to it), we are given incredible freedom today because of Christ's death on our behalf. Now we have these words to live by:

    1 Corinthians 10:31- So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

    So the question remaining would be, "can I serve and glorify God through getting a tattoo or piercing?"

    If you believe that a piercing or tattoo will in any way hinder your ability to serve God, I think the answer is no.

    For some, who believe they will not be hindered in serving God, that answer will be yes. The choice is yours to pray through and search out clarity on.

    Hopefully that's helpful. If I can add any more clarity or help in any other way, please let me know.

    Thanks!

    -Paeter


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    ComiKate

    Posts : 288
    Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21
    Join date : 2012-07-01
    Location : Netherlands

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  ComiKate on July 31st 2012, 6:59 pm

    Paeter, thanks for sharing your well-balanced answer! It's so good (and unfortunately rare) to read from Christians who don't immediately shoot to kill when talking about this subject.

    Nathan, thank you too. About your point 7:

    Nathan James Norman wrote: 7. Women: your skin is beautiful, way more beautiful than any tattoo. Think about that before you decide to permanently cover it up.
    Wow, that was so chivalrous it actually made me blush behind my computer! (no, really!)

    And your 8th point:

    Nathan James Norman wrote:8. Men: your skin (and entire body, actually) are disgusting and covered with sweaty, matted hair. Do whatever you can to hide your skin. Tattoo your entire body if possible.
    That had me laughing out loud lol! Though I concur with the sweaty hairy part Laughing, I don't agree with it "being disgusting" - and yes, I know you were kidding (and me LOL-ling because of it) but I still wanted to say this (specifically as a woman) in case there are any male readers here feeling awkward about their "sweaty hairiness" (or hairy sweatiness) and think no woman will ever like them unless they get themselves a full body wax or something. Wink (Just please make sure you take regular showers and use deodorant at least once a day Very Happy )

    And for the record, I've had my little tattoo for almost twenty years now, got it two years after I was baptized, and never regretted it, although the critical opinions I occasionally encountered from fellow christians about it were sometimes hurtful.




    ComiKate

    Posts : 288
    Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21
    Join date : 2012-07-01
    Location : Netherlands

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  ComiKate on July 31st 2012, 7:31 pm

    PhoenixFire wrote:What are your thoughts on earrings (Or body piercing in general) and tattoos? Does the Bible say anything about them? Should Christians have them? Does it matter?
    About the earrings/piercings: there are several texts in the Bible that show that earrings and/or other kinds of "piercing jewelry" were also given as wedding gifts, the groom giving them to his betrothed, sometimes via a middle man.

    For instance Gen. 24 shows Abraham's servant giving such jewelry to Rebecca, on Isaac's behalf. The original Hebrew word here, nehzem, can mean ring, earring or nose ring (you can check this in an interlineair bible translation)
    We see all three translations in the English bible translations: earrings (e.g. KJV), a ring (e.g. ESV), and a nose ring (e.g. the Complete Jewish Bible). Most of the Dutch bible translations I could check on short notice have either ring or nose ring. Only one has earrings.

    Ezekiel 16:11-12 says (Complete Jewish Bible): I gave you jewelry to wear, bracelets for your hands, a necklace for your neck, a ring for your nose, earrings for your ears and a beautiful crown for your head.

    Again a husband showering his wife with beautiful jewelry, including ones that pierced several body parts.
    The "ring for your nose" in Ezekiel 16 is again the Hebrew word "nehzem"; for the earrings it has "agiyl" (aw-gheel'). So, based on this text I find it at least likely that Rebekka received an actual nose ring as one of her engagement gifts.

    Btw, in Ezekiel 16 it's God Himself taking the role of the husband. So, I consider it very possible that He would want to give us, His church, His new bride, a metaphorical nose piercing as well! (And ear piercings too.) Smile

    So anyway, not only negative associations with piercing jewelry here Wink



    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

    Posts : 571
    Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44
    Join date : 2010-07-06

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  Nathan James Norman on July 31st 2012, 8:36 pm

    ComiKate wrote:

    And for the record, I've had my little tattoo for almost twenty years now, got it two years after I was baptized, and never regretted it, although the critical opinions I occasionally encountered from fellow christians about it were sometimes hurtful.




    I'm sorry you were treated like this. I wonder if sometimes believers are so bored with their lives, that they feel the need to police other believers.

    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

    Posts : 653
    Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7
    Join date : 2010-02-16
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  Hackmodford on July 31st 2012, 9:47 pm

    I would like to add that Rebekah (Isaac's wife) had a nose ring Wink

    http://bible.cc/genesis/24-30.htm


    _________________
    Click to Listen



    Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!

    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

    Posts : 571
    Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44
    Join date : 2010-07-06

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  Nathan James Norman on August 1st 2012, 2:07 pm

    Hackmodford wrote:I would like to add that Rebekah (Isaac's wife) had a nose ring Wink

    http://bible.cc/genesis/24-30.htm

    It must have been a clip-on! lol! heeeeheeee

    ComiKate

    Posts : 288
    Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21
    Join date : 2012-07-01
    Location : Netherlands

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  ComiKate on August 1st 2012, 2:33 pm

    Hackmodford wrote:I would like to add that Rebekah (Isaac's wife) had a nose ring Wink

    Actually, it's not 100% certain that it was a nose ring (but if it was, then definitely a piercing Razz ).

    See my post above, which I think you may have overlooked.




    orvette1

    Posts : 33
    Activity : 60
    Geek-Cred : 3
    Join date : 2012-05-09
    Location : Honolulu

    Tattoos

    Post  orvette1 on August 20th 2012, 1:00 pm

    I have a few tattoos. I have been to job interviews where they have mentioned them. I look at mine as art. I don't have symbols or words in another language. As far as my Christian outlook on them, as long as they are not nasty or dirty in some way, who's to say what you can and can't have on your body. I have several pastor friends who have sleeve tattoos. So are they wrong Biblically? If you get one, just be sure it's what you want forever, not just a whim.

    Rickster

    Posts : 1191
    Activity : 1942
    Geek-Cred : 16
    Join date : 2010-07-05
    Age : 33

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  Rickster on July 22nd 2015, 7:41 pm

    i'm really thinking about getting a tattoo by the end of the year and was actually going to post this question.

    One thing i dont think was mentioned was the reason you are getting a tattoo can also be a sin. I.E. if you are getting ton as an act of rebellion or to tick off a person/church

    Sponsored content

    Re: Earrings And Tattoos

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:25 am


      Current date/time is December 7th 2016, 9:25 am