The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Weary and burdened

ComiKate

Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21

Weary and burdened

Post  ComiKate on August 12th 2012, 6:01 pm

If anyone feels so inclined, please pray for me.

My employer is shutting down the work I've done the past seven years and is outsourcing it per 2013. Not only am I very sad for it feels like what I've been building is being torn down (I work for local government, leading a team of debt counsellors), but they've also made it my job to tear it down myself, i.e. find a contractor to outsource it to, the burden of which after almost a year of leading this particular outsourcement project is starting to wear me down - especially because of my team, which will either have to transfer to the new contractor or find themselves new jobs.
    Plus, it also leaves me without a job somewhere in 2013, unless God provides. Which I'm sure He will, He always does, but right now I'm feeling very insecure about it nonetheless. And sad.

To make matters worse, especially right now, is that my beloved pet rabbit Shalem very unexpectedly passed away last Friday and I'm heartbroken because of it.

So, feeling doubly sad, and tired. Sad Sad

Could use some comfort and encouragement, emotionally and spiritually; prayer would be welcome.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5053
    Geek-Cred : 50

Re: Weary and burdened

Post  Paeter on August 14th 2012, 7:36 pm

Man, that was sad to read. I know I'd be in a serious funk, too. It's increasingly frustrating to me to live in this broken world, where death is still all around us and "the curse" makes work full of obstacles.

I've been reading through the Psalms again lately. Last night I landed at Psalm 97.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Psa&c=97&v=1&t=ESV

I was encouraged by a couple of thoughts (that I know I'll have to continually remind myself of).

No matter what things may look like, Yahweh ("The LORD") is the supreme, unequaled ruler of the world(v.1), and his rule is based on perfect righteousness, meaning he never makes a bad call. He never tolerates anything less than perfection... at least not forever.

His rule is also based on justice, meaning that all the messed up things that happen will one day be set right, and everyone that was wronged will be compensated.(v.2)

He is also unparalleled in power. He can and will make things right. (v.3-5) One day, those who have pushed through this grind of life will no longer be seen as foolish. In fact the opposite will be true! (v.7)

In the meantime, we are not ultimately subject to anyone. And there is happiness to be found, even in these valleys, when we stand without shame, relying on God's undeserved favor, in the presence of Yahweh. (v.10-11)

God loves you, and knows your grief because he's experienced it in Jesus. He's also not worried in the least about your future. He's a good God and he is with you every moment.

I'm praying specifically that you'll be reminded that you are not alone, and that The Comforter is closer to you than anyone, and that you would be aware of his presence in some tangible way.

I'm also praying that you'll be able to trust in Yahweh's goodness, freeing you from worry to see the potential for him to lead you into a new chapter of life, serving him in new and exciting ways with whatever opportunities he brings to you, whatever they might look like.

www.spiritblade.com

WhiteBoy

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on August 15th 2012, 1:47 am

Wow... that's a very tough spot to be in! Sad Praying for you Kate.

ComiKate

Post  ComiKate on August 16th 2012, 5:28 am

Thank you for praying guys, that's encouraging in and of itself!

And Paeter, thank you for your uplifting words and the Psalm - that was so fitting, even in the smallest details. For instance verse 1 "let the distant shores rejoice" - compared to you I live on these distant shores, quite literally since the Netherlands are one of the European coast lands. It's like God winked at me ("yeah, I'm talking to you, girl").
    I love how God uses us to speak His Word very personally into eachother's lives. So thank you for taking the time to write that down.

I printed it and it's now adorning my computer monitor at work so I can look at it and read it several times during the work day, which helps to remind me of God's omnipresence and His care for His children.

If there's any news on the job front, I'll keep you posted.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on August 16th 2012, 6:54 pm

ComiKate wrote:
    I love how God uses us to speak His Word very personally into eachother's lives.

Great to hear about that kind of stuff. God's word is living and active! Thank you, Yahweh!

Hang in there and let us know if we can pray for you further or anything else.

www.spiritblade.com

ComiKate

Post  ComiKate on June 8th 2013, 9:30 pm

God, in His unending grace, mercy and love, has provided.
    So I thought I'd give you, who have been so kind and prayed for me, an update.

Last February I wrote a letter to my employer, formally letting them know I did not agree with their plans of firing me. This, by the way, is simply the normal procedure in the Netherlands. If you don't write such a letter, you forfeit your right to unemployment benefits. I had first talked to my director, letting him know of my plans to write such a letter and also making sure he knew that I wasn't spiteful or anything. He agreed that writing the letter would be normal procedure and the smart way to go for me in my situation.

I felt I didn't really have any formal, legal grounds to actually "win" this, so I decided to simply be honest and vulnerable, telling them why I felt that their decision just wasn't "right," providing them with my arguments, thoughts and feelings on the topic but no formality or "legalese." I knew I would loose this struggle if it were just up to us humans, that there was no way I would not be fired in the end, and that only God could save me from my predicament.

And He did, praise Him.
    For two weeks ago He changed my director's heart, even making him actually come to me to tell me about it (instead of calling me to his office, which he would normally do).

It was like my director's head was still holding on to his own opinion, approaching me and telling me that he was right and I was not, and that there was no reason at all that they shouldn't let me go. But then, surprisingly, he continued by telling me that he had read my letter and wanted to liberate me from this threat of loosing my job next year. He literally told me he felt the situation was very hard on me and he wanted to take the stress and worry away from me. So, he had decided to give me a job as a policy advisor on topics concerning the social domain (so things like welfare, poverty reduction etc.).

So his head seemed to be saying, No, tough luck, but God had actually, really, softened his heart which made him decide to give me a new job anyway. Smile
    And I didn't even have to formally apply for that job, mind you. He just threw it into my lap (which is actually totally against our own company procedures).

This job normally comes with a lower salary than I've been used to up until now, but on top of everything else my director told me he had also decided that I would keep my current pay inspite of that.

Wow, right? I mean, just.... wow.

God is SO great, I don't have the words for it.
    So I'll just go with Psalm 23, which says it all.

The LORD is my shepherd ; I shall not want.
    He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
    He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
    Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies : thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
    Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

I'm citing the King James btw, because of Cissy Houston's rendering of this Psalm, singing it word for word in the KJV translation and this way when I read it in KJV, I hear the melody in my head. (If you get the chance, listen to that great song, it's from the soundtrack of Whitney Houston's The Preacher's Wife).

WhiteBoy

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy on June 9th 2013, 3:53 am

That's great! Praise the Lord!

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on June 10th 2013, 8:01 pm

Wow, Katja. That is an amazing story. I'm just sitting here speechless. Yahweh in action, changing hearts and even working through hearts that can't be fully changed. Thank you so much for sharing this.

www.spiritblade.com

DNArington

Activity : 731
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington on June 11th 2013, 1:01 am

Wow! Praise God, the Giver of all good things! That is an amazing testimony!

Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub on June 11th 2013, 2:17 pm

AS the song says, "Our God is an awesome God."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:16 pm

Current date/time is December 9th 2016, 4:16 pm