The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central


    Introductions

    Share

    mikel.withers

    Posts : 426
    Activity : 524
    Geek-Cred : 8
    Join date : 2014-10-27
    Location : Homer NY

    Re: Introductions

    Post  mikel.withers on March 20th 2016, 8:52 am

    Audie...like Murphy?

    Nice to see you here. I'm afraid you're deeper into anime than I am... my new favorite one is One Punch Man, and hoping that more Attack on Titan comes down the pipe.


    jazzact13

    Posts : 121
    Activity : 186
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2016-03-18

    Re: Introductions

    Post  jazzact13 on March 20th 2016, 9:26 pm

    One Punch Man was a fun series. I haven't gotten into the Attack on Titan anime, though I have read the manga.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3498
    Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on March 23rd 2016, 5:17 pm

    Welcome Audie/jazzact!

    I am currently aiming to rediscover anime as my boys are old enough for some of it now and I'm hoping to find something kid-friendly for them but cool enough for me to enjoy too.

    Do you have a few all-time anime favorites? Do you prefer series or movies? Any anime genre/type that you gravitate toward or away from?


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    jazzact13

    Posts : 121
    Activity : 186
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2016-03-18

    Re: Introductions

    Post  jazzact13 on March 24th 2016, 11:08 pm

    Hello, and thanks for the welcome.

    I remember watching "Battle of the Planets" when I was a kid, but wasn't much into anime for a long time. Some friends I had at one time liked anime, and they did get me interested in "Evangelion", but a lot of what they liked wasn't to my taste.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3498
    Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on March 28th 2016, 10:16 am

    jazzact13 wrote:Some friends I had at one time liked anime, and they did get me interested in "Evangelion", but a lot of what they liked wasn't to my taste.

    Always been a little curious about that one. What does it have going for it in your opinion?


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    jazzact13

    Posts : 121
    Activity : 186
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2016-03-18

    Re: Introductions

    Post  jazzact13 on March 28th 2016, 11:28 pm

    It's actually been a few years since I saw Evangelion, so my memories of it are vague. Good giant mech fighting, lots of personal conflicts, not always sure if the good guys are all that good. And then things get weird.

    Maybe the best series I've seen would be "Fullmetal Alchemist". That's a bit tricky, since they've made two series, the original and then "Brotherhood". I'd put "FMA: Brotherhood" a bit ahead of the original, but you can't go wrong with either.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3498
    Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on March 29th 2016, 4:10 pm

    jazzact13 wrote:I'd put "FMA: Brotherhood" a bit ahead of the original, but you can't go wrong with either.

    Been curious about those too! Do you need to see the original before Brotherhood?


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    jazzact13

    Posts : 121
    Activity : 186
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2016-03-18

    Re: Introductions

    Post  jazzact13 on March 29th 2016, 10:27 pm

    Paeter wrote:
    jazzact13 wrote:I'd put "FMA: Brotherhood" a bit ahead of the original, but you can't go wrong with either.

    Been curious about those too! Do you need to see the original before Brotherhood?

    No, they are independent, "Brotherhood" isn't a sequel.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3498
    Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on March 30th 2016, 8:59 am

    Sweet. Thanks!


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    landofzion

    Posts : 1
    Activity : 1
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2016-10-01

    Greetings!

    Post  landofzion on October 1st 2016, 11:51 am

    Hello everyone!

    I was referred to this site from Winston Crutchfield (mindspike) who recently interviewed me on a card/boardgame my company is publishing that has lore heavily influenced by Christian themes and imagery. I'm sure Paeter will be posting that content soon, but I just wanted to introduce myself to the community. Glad to see a large group of believers together sharing the same interests!  Very Happy

    Regards,
    Eric Bittermann

    AdamCollings

    Posts : 183
    Activity : 210
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2013-12-10
    Age : 38
    Location : Tasmania, Australia

    Re: Introductions

    Post  AdamCollings on October 2nd 2016, 5:50 pm

    Hi Eric!

    mikel.withers

    Posts : 426
    Activity : 524
    Geek-Cred : 8
    Join date : 2014-10-27
    Location : Homer NY

    Re: Introductions

    Post  mikel.withers on October 3rd 2016, 9:20 am

    Howdy Eric, hope you join in on the conversations.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3498
    Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on October 3rd 2016, 10:17 am

    landofzion wrote:Hello everyone!

    I was referred to this site from Winston Crutchfield (mindspike) who recently interviewed me on a card/boardgame my company is publishing that has lore heavily influenced by Christian themes and imagery. I'm sure Paeter will be posting that content soon, but I just wanted to introduce myself to the community. Glad to see a large group of believers together sharing the same interests!  Very Happy

    Regards,
    Eric Bittermann

    Hi Eric! I JUST finished watching Winston's video and plan to post it tomorrow! Looks AWESOME!! Welcome and may Yahweh hugely bless you and this game in ways you don't expect!


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    Reed Benson

    Posts : 14
    Activity : 18
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2016-09-13
    Age : 33
    Location : China

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Reed Benson on November 14th 2016, 5:36 am

    Hello! I think this is my first post, but I'm not entirely sure.

    My name is Reed. I'm from the Kansas City (MO) area, but I live in Northeast China with my Chinese wife. We're both English teachers at different schools. I've been here for about five years, married for two. No kid yet.

    I like comic books, movies, and pro wrestling. I don't play video games anymore, but I'm considering bringing my N64 and/or GameCube home after the next time I go back to visit my family. My favorite video game is probably Star Fox Assault. My favorite comic is Atomic Robo. My favorite movie (for now) is The Truman Show. And my favorite wrestler is "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

    Paeter, you might remember me from your last livestream. My screen name was Dedwyre, and I said I listened to the podcasts but hadn't posted on the forums yet. Now I have!

    mikel.withers

    Posts : 426
    Activity : 524
    Geek-Cred : 8
    Join date : 2014-10-27
    Location : Homer NY

    Re: Introductions

    Post  mikel.withers on November 14th 2016, 8:01 am

    Oooooooooh Yeah!
    Welcome to the CGC forums, hope you snap into 'em.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3498
    Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on November 14th 2016, 9:58 am

    Reed Benson wrote:
    Paeter, you might remember me from your last livestream. My screen name was Dedwyre, and I said I listened to the podcasts but hadn't posted on the forums yet. Now I have!

    Yes, awesome! Thanks so much for introducing yourself!

    Part of me has always been curious about the world of pro wrestling and as time passes I see the geek appeal in it. Each wrestler has his own set of signature moves that function kind of like super powers. They really build up the myth of these characters. And it's also like watching a live stunt show!

    I hadn't heard of Atomic Robo, but just did a search and found its site. Looks really cool! Thought it would be a manga, but it looks like a US comic inspired by Manga. Nice artwork! Are you mostly into non-superhero comics. I know one or two other people here that definitely prefer stuff outside the DC/Marvel superhero arena.

    What is the geek culture like in China? Is there anything in particular that's really big out there right now?


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    jorowi
    Admin

    Posts : 129
    Activity : 200
    Geek-Cred : 3
    Join date : 2013-02-26
    Age : 43
    Location : FEMA Region II

    Re: Introductions

    Post  jorowi on November 14th 2016, 10:36 am

    Reed Benson wrote:Hello! I think this is my first post, but I'm not entirely sure.

    My name is Reed.

    Welcome, Reed!


    _________________
    John Wilkerson
    Struggling for Purpose
    My YouTube Channel
    Twitter

    AdamCollings

    Posts : 183
    Activity : 210
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2013-12-10
    Age : 38
    Location : Tasmania, Australia

    Re: Introductions

    Post  AdamCollings on November 14th 2016, 7:29 pm

    Hi Reed. Welcome.

    Reed Benson

    Posts : 14
    Activity : 18
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2016-09-13
    Age : 33
    Location : China

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Reed Benson on November 14th 2016, 9:37 pm

    Paeter wrote:I hadn't heard of Atomic Robo, but just did a search and found its site. Looks really cool! Thought it would be a manga, but it looks like a US comic inspired by Manga. Nice artwork! Are you mostly into non-superhero comics. I know one or two other people here that definitely prefer stuff outside the DC/Marvel superhero arena.

    I used to be all about superheroes and nothing else, but now I just like good stories, especially if they're self-contained. I really enjoy titles like Ultimate Spider-Man and Robert Kirkman's Invincible because I don't usually need to read any other books outside of them to understand what's going on. I was sad to hear that the Ultimate line was merged with the mainstream Marvel universe.

    I don't keep up with current comics anymore because my income isn't big and there aren't any comic shops here. (Even if there were, my Chinese isn't good enough to read what they sold.) I sometimes read webcomics like Atomic Robo or whatever I can get from my American library's online databases.

    What is the geek culture like in China? Is there anything in particular that's really big out there right now?

    Unfortunately, I'm not really plugged into any geek culture in China. I don't have many native male friends, and girls aren't so much into geeky things. I know that video games - particularly phone games - are popular, but I don't think many people pay for them. They just get what they can for free, and the government doesn't do much to tamper illegal downloading. When my students aren't taking classes or doing homework, a lot of them are playing phone or computer games. I used to hear Crossfire and Counter Strike mentioned a lot. World of Warcraft and League of Legends are supposedly popular, but none of my students talk about them.

    I feel like most gamers here aren't so much into the stories of the games as they are just screen addicts. People are glued to their phones everywhere. I've never seen consoles for sale, though I have played a friend's XBOX 360, so I know they exist. I think you have to go to computer stores or online; they don't sell them at Wal-Mart or stores like that.

    Outside of games, the Transformers and Marvel movies are very popular. Everyone knows Captain America, Iron Man, and "The Green Giant" (Hulk). The DC movies aren't as popular, and Suicide Squad wasn't even released to theaters here. Star Wars is slowly getting traction, though.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3498
    Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on November 15th 2016, 9:00 am

    I love Ultimate Spiderman! I also own most of the Ultimate Marvel line and am slowly reading my way up to the merge, which I was also bummed to hear about. But maybe it will be the thing that finally gets me into the Marvel universe.

    So what kinds of things do you like to do in your off time with your wife?


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    Reed Benson

    Posts : 14
    Activity : 18
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2016-09-13
    Age : 33
    Location : China

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Reed Benson on November 16th 2016, 2:45 am

    Paeter wrote:So what kinds of things do you like to do in your off time with your wife?

    Well, she's far less geeky than me. We like to watch movies and TV shows. She likes romantic stuff, touching stuff, and comedies. The geekiest things she likes are Detective Conan (aka Case Closed in America) and animated Disney films. She often says she wishes she were smart and talented enough to work for Disney. I've gotten her to watch some superhero movies and shows, and she enjoyed them in the moment, but she's not going to be watching them without me. She was also bored by Star Wars, but she liked The Force Awakens all right.

    She recently read the entire Chronicles of Narnia series, and she said they're her favorite books now, so that's good.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3498
    Activity : 5040
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on November 17th 2016, 10:08 am

    Reed Benson wrote:
    Paeter wrote:So what kinds of things do you like to do in your off time with your wife?

    Well, she's far less geeky than me. We like to watch movies and TV shows. She likes romantic stuff, touching stuff, and comedies. The geekiest things she likes are Detective Conan (aka Case Closed in America) and animated Disney films. She often says she wishes she were smart and talented enough to work for Disney. I've gotten her to watch some superhero movies and shows, and she enjoyed them in the moment, but she's not going to be watching them without me. She was also bored by Star Wars, but she liked The Force Awakens all right.

    She recently read the entire Chronicles of Narnia series, and she said they're her favorite books now, so that's good.

    Cool. Holly and I have found suspense thrillers to be a nice middle ground for our tastes. We also watch sit coms together now and then. Currently on Modern Family but may transition to Park and Rec soon.


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    mikel.withers

    Posts : 426
    Activity : 524
    Geek-Cred : 8
    Join date : 2014-10-27
    Location : Homer NY

    Re: Introductions

    Post  mikel.withers on November 17th 2016, 1:52 pm

    What about "The Great Wall" movie coming out soon? Has that gotten any interest over there?

    Reed Benson

    Posts : 14
    Activity : 18
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2016-09-13
    Age : 33
    Location : China

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Reed Benson on November 17th 2016, 9:32 pm

    mikel.withers wrote:What about "The Great Wall" movie coming out soon? Has that gotten any interest over there?

    I don't think I've seen anything about it on Chinese media yet. Just online. I don't spend much time on the Chinese internet; I use a VPN to get around the Great Firewall. I don't think they put much effort into advertising until a movie is actually released here.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:53 am


      Current date/time is December 8th 2016, 6:53 am