The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central


    Introductions

    Share

    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

    Posts : 571
    Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44
    Join date : 2010-07-06

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Nathan James Norman on February 19th 2014, 10:24 am

    rossmcclure4 wrote:My wife is a bigger geek than me, and through her love and support found myself really unleashing the geek over the years.  We both love BBC stuff like Sherlock, sci-fi TV shows both old and new and things like Divergent and Hunger Games.
    Welcome Ross!

    It's always a blessing when our better halves can also appreciate the geeky stuff too!

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3480
    Activity : 5014
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on February 19th 2014, 12:52 pm

    Welcome, Ross! Great to see you here! And thanks again for "coffee"! It was great to spend some time with you!

    So what are your favorite RTS's? It's a genre I'm wanting to explore more in the future, but haven't found one that fits me yet. (I sometimes stress out over the "real time" part of "real time strategy".)


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    rossmcclure4

    Posts : 59
    Activity : 78
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2014-02-18
    Location : Jarrell, TX

    Re: Introductions

    Post  rossmcclure4 on February 19th 2014, 2:10 pm

    ComiKate wrote:It must be so awesome to be married to a fellow geek! I'm sure you're counting your blessings there Cool 

    Nathan James Norman wrote:It's always a blessing when our better halves can also appreciate the geeky stuff too!

    Great to meet you all, yeah I totally agree its an incredible blessing, though its interesting that sometimes to appeal to her I need to be less like Ryan Gosling and more like Sheldon Cooper...ok that's a lie.  Ryan Gosling would probably work fine too, but that's not going to happen.



    Paeter wrote:thanks again for "coffee"! It was great to spend some time with you!

    So what are your favorite RTS's? It's a genre I'm wanting to explore more in the future, but haven't found one that fits me yet. (I sometimes stress out over the "real time" part of "real time strategy".)

    Dude, like I said if you like grim dark, horror mixed with sci-fi I'd try to sell you on "Dawn of War".  I love those games.  I like turn-based too though, I've been looking forward to trying some of the fantasy one's you've reviewed.

    Korea was the international center of StarCraft madness, they've got professionals and TV channels dedicated to just SC.  I only played with my American friend though because winning the game just seemed like a combination of index finger clicking speed and not have an anxiety attack, so I know what you mean about RTS.

    rossmcclure4

    Posts : 59
    Activity : 78
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2014-02-18
    Location : Jarrell, TX

    Re: Introductions

    Post  rossmcclure4 on February 19th 2014, 2:11 pm

    I'm already fired for posting a picture of Ryan Gosling aren't I?

    WhiteBoy
    Moderator

    Posts : 683
    Activity : 800
    Geek-Cred : 12
    Join date : 2010-06-29
    Age : 43
    Location : Arkansas

    Re: Introductions

    Post  WhiteBoy on February 19th 2014, 5:55 pm

    Fired! Smile Welcome to CGC, Ross!


    _________________

    tmorrill

    Posts : 335
    Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20
    Join date : 2012-02-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Portland, OR

    Re: Introductions

    Post  tmorrill on February 19th 2014, 9:11 pm

    Welcome to the forum Ross!

    Korea was the international center of StarCraft madness, they've got professionals and TV channels dedicated to just SC. I only played with my American friend though because winning the game just seemed like a combination of index finger clicking speed and not have an anxiety attack, so I know what you mean about RTS.

    That. A thousand times that.

    I remember walking around downtown Songtan and Osan with SC tournaments on random TVs and also all the PC cafes there too. When were you in Korea?



    rossmcclure4

    Posts : 59
    Activity : 78
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2014-02-18
    Location : Jarrell, TX

    Re: Introductions

    Post  rossmcclure4 on March 2nd 2014, 4:03 pm

    tmorrill wrote: I remember walking around downtown Songtan and Osan with SC tournaments on random TVs and also all the PC cafes there too. When were you in Korea?

    So you must have been stationed at Osan AB?  I used to fly in and out of there a lot + Osan was like the "cool place" to go for all the folks down at camp Humphreys...that's sad isn't it?  I was there from 2010-2013.

    tmorrill

    Posts : 335
    Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20
    Join date : 2012-02-04
    Age : 29
    Location : Portland, OR

    Re: Introductions

    Post  tmorrill on March 5th 2014, 3:54 pm

    rossmcclure4 wrote:
    tmorrill wrote: I remember walking around downtown Songtan and Osan with SC tournaments on random TVs and also all the PC cafes there too. When were you in Korea?

    So you must have been stationed at Osan AB?  I used to fly in and out of there a lot + Osan was like the "cool place" to go for all the folks down at camp Humphreys...that's sad isn't it?  I was there from 2010-2013.

    Yep, I worked at the Community Center then the Gingko Tree when I was there. I'm also still slightly scarred from Chili's overload. I there from November of '10 to May of '12.

    I figure this is a stretch since Humpreys was a bit of a drive, but where you ever involved in the Osan Hospitality House when you were there?

    rossmcclure4

    Posts : 59
    Activity : 78
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2014-02-18
    Location : Jarrell, TX

    Re: Introductions

    Post  rossmcclure4 on March 6th 2014, 2:34 pm

    tmorrill wrote: Yep, I worked at the Community Center then the Gingko Tree when I was there. I'm also still slightly scarred from Chili's overload. I there from November of '10 to May of '12. I figure this is a stretch since Humpreys was a bit of a drive, but where you ever involved in the Osan Hospitality House when you were there?

    No that's no stretch, I never got to go to the Hospitality House but always wanted to. My wife and I attended the Osan chapel sometimes but life in Korea was full of 20 hour days and no weekends. It was no problem to drive but I was always at work. :-( Great to see someone on here who spent time in kimchi land, I look forward to talking to you about this stuff.

    mikel.withers

    Posts : 422
    Activity : 520
    Geek-Cred : 8
    Join date : 2014-10-27
    Location : Homer NY

    Re: Introductions

    Post  mikel.withers on October 27th 2014, 1:48 pm

    Howdy folks,
    I am Mike Withers, akoa Rhoetus (also known online as)
    I am a podcast geek. I am a janitor at a church, so I spend most of my time connected to earbuds, and Christian geek podcasts are one of my favorite ways to pass the time. I got started with Strangers and Aliens, and then listened to (and contributed to) the Untold Podcast, now I am working my way through Theology Gaming.
    Geek cred...well, I like love Firefly, I guess that is most common denominator, and I like Star Wars and Trek, and the Marvel Universe (Sabertooth as Mark Texeira (the comic artist not the baseball player) sees him is my favorite character). I don't like Dr. Who...terribly sorry... nor DC comics, although that means that I can enjoy the show Gotham, which I do.
    Other geeky stuff, I love old RPGs like Paladium's Robotech (and the anime which was awesome), die 10 White Wolf stuff, and kind of liked West End Star Wars RPG. The new SW rpg looks cool, but I haven't actually played it yet. As for video games, I am a big Total War series fan, although Rome II makes my computer stop working...which means that I haven't seen fit to get onboard Star Citizen as I don't think I'll actually be able to play it...and that is sad.
    Right now, my free time is spent playing World of Tanks with a Christian clan, (CS7 CS7clan.com). If I ever come up for air, I will get back into Paradox Interactive games like Sengoku and Crusader Kings II.
    Also, I am one of those people who argue online... I like to keep things civil, but when I see logical inconsistencies, self-refuting statements, and downright idiocy, I can't help but open my big mouth...by way of typing.

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3480
    Activity : 5014
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on October 27th 2014, 2:45 pm

    mikel.withers wrote:
    Other geeky stuff, I love old RPGs like Paladium's Robotech (and the anime which was awesome), die 10 White Wolf stuff,

    I've played several White Wolf games, but only at conventions, oddly enough. But I liked what I experienced of the system!
    mikel.withers wrote:
    Also, I am one of those people who argue online... I like to keep things civil, but when I see logical inconsistencies, self-refuting statements, and downright idiocy, I can't help but open my big mouth...by way of typing.

    We're all about healthy doses of both truth and love here, so feel free to share your thoughts and practice clear yet sensitive communication skills anytime! ;-)

    Welcome, welcome!!


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    rossmcclure4

    Posts : 59
    Activity : 78
    Geek-Cred : 1
    Join date : 2014-02-18
    Location : Jarrell, TX

    Re: Introductions

    Post  rossmcclure4 on November 13th 2014, 8:11 am

    It is great to meet you Rhoetus. When you have time please see my request for information on CS7 on your other post. I'm glad you are a podcast geek, I'm always looking for new podcasts to explore.

    Jeffrywith1e

    Posts : 10
    Activity : 12
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2015-03-01
    Location : Twin Cities

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Jeffrywith1e on March 1st 2015, 8:57 pm

    Just joined. I'm a geek dad who is obsessed with table top RPGs. I attend Woodland Hills Church in Minnesota. Hello

    Drew.Rub

    Posts : 503
    Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18
    Join date : 2010-07-07
    Age : 43
    Location : Evansville, IN

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Drew.Rub on March 1st 2015, 9:09 pm

    Jeffrywith1e wrote:Just joined. I'm a geek dad who is obsessed with table top RPGs. I attend Woodland Hills Church in Minnesota. Hello
    As we say n Mandalorian, Su'cuy! Welcome to the forums.

    mikel.withers

    Posts : 422
    Activity : 520
    Geek-Cred : 8
    Join date : 2014-10-27
    Location : Homer NY

    Re: Introductions

    Post  mikel.withers on March 2nd 2015, 9:41 am

    Welcome Jeffry.
    ...I don't know if you understand how crazy it makes that your handle has two "e"s but says it only has one.... What a Face

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3480
    Activity : 5014
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on March 2nd 2015, 9:01 pm

    Jeffrywith1e wrote:Just joined. I'm a geek dad who is obsessed with table top RPGs. I attend Woodland Hills Church in Minnesota. Hello

    Woohoo! Welcome!

    And...

    Oooh! Oooh! Which ones do you like??


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    Jeffrywith1e

    Posts : 10
    Activity : 12
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2015-03-01
    Location : Twin Cities

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Jeffrywith1e on March 2nd 2015, 11:32 pm

    Paeter wrote:
    Jeffrywith1e wrote:Just joined. I'm a geek dad who is obsessed with table top RPGs. I attend Woodland Hills Church in Minnesota. Hello

    Woohoo! Welcome!

    And...

    Oooh! Oooh! Which ones do you like??

    Almost all of my recent gaming is Pathfinder, but that is due to the group I'm with. That's all they'll ever play. But I am constantly on the search for a go to game for my house hold as my kiddos are coming to ages that they'll be able to play. So I go round and round with a few systems, obsessing over them and then for whatever reason moving on to the next one. I am so fickle when it comes to game systems.

    The ones that I frequent when not running Pathfinder are Ubiquity with Hollow Earth Expedition and Vortex System with Doctor Who Adventures in Time and Space and Rocket Age.

    I do also get into some of the generic systems like D6 System, BRP, Savage Worlds, GURPS, and Fate. I've so far successfully resisted delving into D&D 5th Edition, though from what I've read, I think I'd like it more than d20/Pathfinder.

    One of the very first games I got into in my youth is still dear to me is the old Top Secret/S.I. game. I have the complete collection of that one and of Classic Spycraft.

    How about you, Paeter? I saw you ran Hero Kids for your kiddos. What else do you like?

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3480
    Activity : 5014
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on March 6th 2015, 5:42 pm

    Jeffrywith1e wrote:

    How about you, Paeter? I saw you ran Hero Kids for your kiddos. What else do you like?

    I ran 2 DC Heroes (MEGS) campaigns for 8 years total. LOVE the flexibility of that system. Since then I've only had time to play board games until just over Christmas when I joined a D&D 5th group. (First ongoing RPG group I haven't had to be gamemaster for, so I'm in, baby!)

    I've also learned a few other systems over the years but never ran many games with them. (Eldritch being the most recent and promising before D&D 5e.)

    Heard great things about Pathfinder, but the closest I do is an ongoing Pathfinder card game group.


    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    Introspect

    Posts : 7
    Activity : 9
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2015-03-12
    Age : 37
    Location : North Carolina

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Introspect on March 12th 2015, 2:38 am

    Just found out about this community today from a friend and decided to join. A few of my hobbies are writing (creative/poetic/lyrical/devotional), creating various styles of electronic music, playing video games (favorite genre is RPG) and studying herbalism. I'm also into science fiction. I recently started playing The Repopulation; a sci-fi themed sandbox MMORPG that's currently in an early access, last stage alpha build (been following news and updates on it for a while now, so it's nice to finally be able to check it out). Hope everyone is doing well and I hope to get more acquainted with the community here.

    mikel.withers

    Posts : 422
    Activity : 520
    Geek-Cred : 8
    Join date : 2014-10-27
    Location : Homer NY

    Re: Introductions

    Post  mikel.withers on March 12th 2015, 7:41 am

    Welcome!
    I'll have to check out The Repopulation, that sounds intriguing.
    What part of NC do you live in? I lived in Old Fort, just down Rt 40 from Asheville and Black Mountain for a couple years.

    Introspect

    Posts : 7
    Activity : 9
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2015-03-12
    Age : 37
    Location : North Carolina

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Introspect on March 12th 2015, 1:55 pm

    mikel.withers wrote:Welcome!
    I'll have to check out The Repopulation, that sounds intriguing.
    What part of NC do you live in? I lived in Old Fort, just down Rt 40 from Asheville and Black Mountain for a couple years.

    Thanks! It's an awesome game, in my opinion, and will only get better with future patches and builds. The devs are really active within the community as well; their passion is very apparent.

    I live in Greensboro (well, pleasant Garden, but that's basically Greensboro, zip code wise).

    Paeter
    Admin

    Posts : 3480
    Activity : 5014
    Geek-Cred : 50
    Join date : 2010-02-17
    Age : 38
    Location : Mesa, AZ

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Paeter on March 12th 2015, 7:10 pm

    Introspect wrote:Just found out about this community today from a friend and decided to join. A few of my hobbies are writing (creative/poetic/lyrical/devotional), creating various styles of electronic music, playing video games (favorite genre is RPG) and studying herbalism. I'm also into science fiction. I recently started playing The Repopulation; a sci-fi themed sandbox MMORPG that's currently in an early access, last stage alpha build (been following news and updates on it for a while now, so it's nice to finally be able to check it out). Hope everyone is doing well and I hope to get more acquainted with the community here.

    Welcome, Introspect!

    I'm also a HUGE RPG video game fan, although single player is my cup of tea.

    I also dated my wife long distance for a year going back and forth to here is AZ to Winston-Salem, NC where she lived at the time. BEAUTIFUL part of the country, especially in the fall!

    Is there a place we can check out your music? I dabble in electronic music as well and would love to hear what sounds you gravitate toward!




    _________________
    -Seek The Truth!

    www.spiritblade.com

    Introspect

    Posts : 7
    Activity : 9
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2015-03-12
    Age : 37
    Location : North Carolina

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Introspect on March 13th 2015, 3:03 am

    Paeter wrote:
    Introspect wrote:Just found out about this community today from a friend and decided to join. A few of my hobbies are writing (creative/poetic/lyrical/devotional), creating various styles of electronic music, playing video games (favorite genre is RPG) and studying herbalism. I'm also into science fiction. I recently started playing The Repopulation; a sci-fi themed sandbox MMORPG that's currently in an early access, last stage alpha build (been following news and updates on it for a while now, so it's nice to finally be able to check it out). Hope everyone is doing well and I hope to get more acquainted with the community here.

    Welcome, Introspect!

    I'm also a HUGE RPG video game fan, although single player is my cup of tea.

    I also dated my wife long distance for a year going back and forth to here is AZ to Winston-Salem, NC where she lived at the time. BEAUTIFUL part of the country, especially in the fall!

    Is there a place we can check out your music? I dabble in electronic music as well and would love to hear what sounds you gravitate toward!



    Thanks! I'm definitely a huge single player RPG fan as well. Two of my favorites are KotOR and Jade Empire. Those were Bioware's gems, in my opinion (although I haven't finished Dragon Age Origins yet).

    Sure, I can link to my SoundCloud but I don't think I have access to post links here yet. I will try though.

    *Edit: Wouldn't work, so I will just post it this way (it's SoundCloud so it's legit, lol). soundcloud(dot)com/richardb-introspect

    Each track is very different from the other. Most all of them are experimental, varying from downtempo, ambient, atmospheric, chillstep (even a lyrical chillstep track), soundscape, ect.

    Changer4

    Posts : 20
    Activity : 28
    Geek-Cred : 0
    Join date : 2015-02-01
    Age : 20
    Location : North Florida

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Changer4 on March 15th 2015, 10:25 am

    While I've actually made my account about a month ago, I realized that I never came here and introduced myself, so here I am I suppose.

    My real name is Jonathon, and I'm almost regretting not just using it instead. I'm 18, which I think might be a bit young comparitively, but hopefully I won't let my youthful ignorance show too much.

    I'm hoping to become an English major and start a career writing Fantasy. How much of that is due to my aforementioned youthful ignorance, as well as no small amount of wishful thinking remains to be seen, but a kid can hope.

    While I've recently started attending a Baptist church, I'm not certain that I really consider myself a part of any denomination right now. I was converted largely by C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity, which tried to avoid denominational disputes, so maybe that's why I never really chose one. The fact that I know little about the actual differences between a Baptist and an Episcopalian probably doesn't help either. But thankfully I don't Christ actually cares much about that stuff as long as we believe his word and accept him as our savior, and hopefully I'll be learn more about that sort of thing in time.

    My youtube account name is gogators57ftw (which I also kind of want to change, but everything good was taken when I made it), so if anyone sees that account comment on a CGC video, it just means me.

    Well that's pretty much everything from the top of my head. Thanks to Paeter who I assume started this forum, and know I'm glad to be here.


    mikel.withers

    Posts : 422
    Activity : 520
    Geek-Cred : 8
    Join date : 2014-10-27
    Location : Homer NY

    Re: Introductions

    Post  mikel.withers on March 16th 2015, 6:37 am

    As your Gators gave my Buckeyes a pretty good coach, I wont hold your fandom against you...

    Oh, and welcome!
    Mere Christianity is a really good read, but he does say that he is introducing you to a hallway, and while the hallway is okay you shouldn't live in a hallway. I agree that the denomination one joins doesn't matter to salvation, but I think we should join a local church that teaches the closest to the truth. I've been a Baptist most of my life, and that means very different things in different local churches.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Introductions

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:14 pm


      Current date/time is December 2nd 2016, 5:14 pm