The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Introductions

ComiKate

Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21

Re: Introductions

Post  ComiKate on April 4th 2015, 4:50 am

Be welcome Jonathon, glad you found us!
    Enjoy hangin' and chillin' with us christian geeks here.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 5046
    Geek-Cred : 50

Post  Paeter on April 8th 2015, 3:43 pm

Welcome, Jonathan!

I loved reading Mere Christianity! So glad it was useful to you! If you're ever looking for more reading recommendations regarding Christian doctrine/etc. I'm sure you could get a ton of recommendations here no matter what topic you're interested in.

And while I technically may have officially launched the site, my thanks goes out to Brandon Butler, who doesn't pop up often here these days, but who poked and prodded me for months until I agreed to let him get the original forums set up. And this place continues to be what it is because of the great moderators and folks like you who come here to geek out and share what we can of life together.

So what kind of geeky stuff are you into these days, Jonathan? You mentioned Zelda in another thread. You mostly into video games? I imagine you must a read a good amount. Any geek fiction you can recommend?

www.spiritblade.com

fxruizx

Activity : 30
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  fxruizx on June 21st 2015, 8:22 am

Hi all!
    My name is Francisco, I am a husband, father of a girl and a boy on the way Smile and Christ apprentice.

I love to listen to podcasts (how I found Spirit Blade and the Underground, as well as currently enjoying the Untold podcast) and I make my own about movies and games from 15+ years ago. I also enjoy contemporary movies and games – current favorites being Interstellar, Kung Fury, and Heroes of the Storm. In addition I like to do Parkour (though very much a beginner at it).

For work I am a web and graphics designer, and I also volunteer as one of the youth leaders at my church in OR.

Want to know anything else, just ask Smile

mikel.withers

Activity : 530
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  mikel.withers on June 22nd 2015, 7:23 am

Howdy, Francisco, welcome to the CGC!

What kind of games from 15+ years ago?

fxruizx

Post  fxruizx on June 22nd 2015, 8:29 am

Thank you for the welcome Mikel Smile.

Pretty much just console games though we have plans to do a computer game, and maybe one day we will do a board game Smile. But so far we have hit games from the SNES, Genesis, N64, and also one arcade game. You can see the specific games here: retrorewindpodcast.com/genre/video-games/

By the way, Mission from the Dark Side of the Galaxy was one of the first stories I listened to on Untold and really enjoyed it Very Happy Was G-33 an allusion to God (Christ) living to age 33?

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on June 22nd 2015, 10:58 am

Well, I know what podcast I'm diving into next...

G-33 just sounded retro-scifi enough to fit the bill. I can't take any credit for thinking that deeply into the name, but if it has some serendipity to it... cool.

And, thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

fxruizx

Post  fxruizx on June 22nd 2015, 2:52 pm

mikel.withers wrote:Well, I know what podcast I'm diving into next...
    Ooo, which one? Wink Would love to hear what you think!

mikel.withers wrote:G-33 just sounded retro-scifi enough to fit the bill. I can't take any credit for thinking that deeply into the name, but if it has some serendipity to it... cool.
    Fun to know and it certainly fits the bill for retro-scifi. I still need to listen to Gnomes and the Pit, but any other stories forthcoming?

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on June 22nd 2015, 9:59 pm

Well, the timing on getting to your podcast is dependent on how many Audible credits I have and how long it takes me to get through those books. (Listening through Flint's 1632 series now)
    As soon as that is done, I'll catch up on the podcasts I regularly listen to, a day or two's worth, then on to yours. I usually have one of two reactions to a podcast... I agree with what is said, and have nothing to say in response... or I disagree with something significantly enough to chew on someone's (virtual) ear about it.

As to the stories, the Gnomes was my first attempt at purposeful writing since high school which was many, many moons ago. As such, it is a personal favorite of mine. I did write another story about time travel, but NJN hasn't responded yet (he's got a lot going on right now so I'm being patient). I imagine that some idea will start rattling around in my head sooner or later, and I'll have to type it up in order to get it out. I did put some rough ideas in the Brain Storm section of this forum, that I am ruminating on. (Gnomes was based on an idea I was digesting for five or six years, and Mission was three or four...if that gives you an idea about my dedication and motivation levels)

tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill on June 22nd 2015, 11:01 pm

fxruizx wrote:
    For work I am a web and graphics designer, and I also volunteer as one of the youth leaders at my church in OR.

Welcome dude! Glad to see another person who lives in Oregon here!

I'm going to Multnomah right now, and should be around for the next couple years.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on June 22nd 2015, 11:43 pm

Welcome Francisco!

I think we've interacted a few time on Youtube, right?

Beginner or not, you get HUGE points for the parkour thing. That stuff is crazy scary. How do you even START? Stand on a bench and then jump off the bench and see how it goes? I'm pretty sure I'd split or mash something vital my first time over a guard rail.

www.spiritblade.com

fxruizx

Post  fxruizx on June 23rd 2015, 2:31 pm

mikel.withers wrote:As soon as that is done, I'll catch up on the podcasts I regularly listen to, a day or two's worth, then on to yours.  I usually have one of two reactions to a podcast... I agree with what is said, and have nothing to say in response... or I disagree with something significantly enough to chew on someone's (virtual) ear about it.
    No rush or anything, but welcome your agreement or vehement disagreement Smile. What are your favorite few podcast right now?

tmorrill wrote:I'm going to Multnomah right now, and should be around for the next couple years.
    Oh nice, grad or undergrad and what is your major/focus? Do you happen to have any classes with Jim Saemenes (friend of mine)? Also thank you for the welcome Smile

Paeter wrote:I think we've interacted a few time on Youtube, right?

Beginner or not, you get HUGE points for the parkour thing. That stuff is crazy scary. How do you even START? Stand on a bench and then jump off the bench and see how it goes? I'm pretty sure I'd split or mash something vital my first time over a guard rail.
    Thank you for the welcome Paeter - yup I'm the same one who has called out your Jurassic geography flubs on youtube Wink. BTW regarding one of the other youtube comments you replied to, I would love to get a Retron 5, just not in the budget now, but yes please do a review video, would love to hear all your thoughts on it!.

As for Parkour - I had the same reaction when I watched one of the Assassin's Creed meets Parkour youtube videos, then my wife said I should try it, and I reacted with NO WAY! TOO SCARY, and she retorted with maybe that's why I should do it.

That belief got me googling parkour for beginners and started out, learning good stretching, then the parkour roll, and vaulting over a bench with my legs to the side. Then got a touch more serious and researched good shoes so I would feel safer doing jumps. Now I work jumping from the ground onto a bench from further and further away. Also trying to work up to doing a kong vault, dash vault, and cat climb, but haven't found parks with the right setup for it yet.

Probably way more info than you wanted, but I love doing it, and if you want to start I can suggest the youtubers i follow for learning. But getting over that fear is really the tough part, and then you do and its great, until you get to the next fear (for me jumping from the top of a stone wall to another), and the cycle continues Smile

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on June 23rd 2015, 6:51 pm

fxruizx wrote:
    Thank you for the welcome Paeter - yup I'm the same one who has called out your Jurassic geography flubs on youtube Wink. BTW regarding one of the other youtube comments you replied to, I would love to get a Retron 5, just not in the budget now, but yes please do a review video, would love to hear all your thoughts on it!.

That belief got me googling parkour for beginners and started out, learning good stretching, then the parkour roll, and vaulting over a bench with my legs to the side. Then got a touch more serious and researched good shoes so I would feel safer doing jumps. Now I work jumping from the ground onto a bench from further and further away. Also trying to work up to doing a kong vault, dash vault, and cat climb, but haven't found parks with the right setup for it yet.

Dude, that's crazy cool. Don't think I could conquer that kinda fear though. In my case it would be well-founded. (I've never had good reflexes and don't think well on my feet.)

Thanks for the Jurassic correction, btw. I'm usually good with Geology! ;-)

Coulda swore that it was New York, but I think that's just because of the Godzilla joke with the Japanese tourists. Which, now that I think about it, has no logical tie to New York anyway. I should have said the movie took place in Tokyo!

www.spiritblade.com

fxruizx

Post  fxruizx on June 24th 2015, 7:58 am

Paeter wrote:Thanks for the Jurassic correction, btw. I'm usually good with Geology! ;-)

Coulda swore that it was New York, but I think that's just because of the Godzilla joke with the Japanese tourists. Which, now that I think about it, has no logical tie to New York anyway. I should have said the movie took place in Tokyo!

You bet - Dino-genealogy is a tricky thing Wink

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on June 24th 2015, 10:11 am

fxruizx wrote:

You bet - Dino-genealogy is a tricky thing Wink

lol!

www.spiritblade.com

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers on June 25th 2015, 10:16 am

fxruizx wrote:No rush or anything, but welcome your agreement or vehement disagreement Smile. What are your favorite few podcast right now?
    I must have missed the last sentence...
    Okay, so, in order of how they come to my mind: The Scifi Christian, the Phil Vischer podcast, Saving the Game, Game Store Prophets, Comic Book Time Machine, Me Talking Weird Al to You, Strangers And Aliens, Welcome to Level Seven, and others that I don't have to catch up on because they are slow at putting things out or I catch them as they come out, even if it means interrupting what I'm listening to, like Hardcore History.

I listen to about 30 hours of podcast or books a week.

fxruizx

Post  fxruizx on June 25th 2015, 10:59 am

Awesome Mikel, will have to check out some of those. I used to be a big fan of The Sci Fi Christian and still think Matt and Ben are great guys, but i think it was the year before Matt got married that they started firehosing episodes that it was just to much to keep up with for me (I tend to be a completionist and it was bothering me not to be able to keep up). I have recently started listening to Phil Vischer and really like that one Smile

I myself am in the 15-20 hours of podcast goodness a week, so am very impressed with your 30 cheers

tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill on June 27th 2015, 3:32 pm

fxruizx wrote:

tmorrill wrote:I'm going to Multnomah right now, and should be around for the next couple years.
    Oh nice, grad or undergrad and what is your major/focus? Do you happen to have any classes with Jim Saemenes (friend of mine)? Also thank you for the welcome Smile

I'm undergrad and I'm still technically an Aviation Major, but I'm debating dropping that part and graduating int he fall, then going to seminary for the Chaplain track. We'll see though, it's all up in the air. I don't know Jim, but if I do end up running into him, I'll be sure to name drop you! :p

Morfinwen

Activity : 33
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Morfinwen on November 27th 2015, 4:24 am

Hi. I'm new.

Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44

Post  Nathan James Norman on November 27th 2015, 7:36 am

Morfinwen wrote:Hi. I'm new.

Hi Morfinwen!

Interesting name... what's it mean?

What kind of geekiness are you into?

Rickster

Activity : 1952
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster on November 27th 2015, 7:33 pm

Welcome Morfinwen

Morfinwen

Activity : 33

Post  Morfinwen on November 29th 2015, 4:45 am

Rickster wrote:

Welcome Morfinwen

Thank you.

Nathan James Norman wrote:

Hi Morfinwen!

Interesting name... what's it mean?

What kind of geekiness are you into?

Hi there.

Morfinwen - Elvish, meaning "dark-haired maiden". A bit generic, but it's an older username i have enough fondness for to keep using.

Geeky interests include (but are not limited to):

Books: Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games trilogy, anything by Brandon Sanderson or C.S. Lewis, some of the Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan, the Queen's Thief series
    Video games: The Sims 3, Undertale, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Uncharted series, The Last of Us, Myst, Riven, Myst III, Knights of the Old Republic I and II, Portal and Portal II, Journey; also the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series, but haven't finished #3 in either of those
    Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe, Pixar/Disney
    TV: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Daredevil .. i think Leverage is kind of geeky, Firefly though nowhere near as much as most people; i also like older seasons of Once Upon a Time and parts of series 1-4 of Doctor Who.
    Webcomics: Order of the Stick, Girl Genius, Gunnerkrigg Court, xkcd, Lackadaisy Cats, Inverloch (complete), The Phoenix Requiem (complete), Digger (complete), 8-Bit Theatre (which is complete but i haven't read all of)
    Web video: Red vs Blue

Not sure if any of those are too "mainstream" to count as geeky.

I also watch a few Let's Players (Achievement Hunter, Markiplier, Cryaotic). I have a slight interest in tabletop RPGing, but don't know anyone in the area who would be open to it and hesitant to explore - might not have enough time or money at present, either. I'm an aspiring writer of fantasy, and have uploaded a few pieces to websites.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter on November 30th 2015, 1:22 pm

Geeky interests include (but are not limited to):

Books: Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games trilogy, anything by Brandon Sanderson or C.S. Lewis, some of the Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan, the Queen's Thief series
    Video games: The Sims 3, Undertale, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Uncharted series, The Last of Us, Myst, Riven, Myst III, Knights of the Old Republic I and II, Portal and Portal II, Journey; also the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series, but haven't finished #3 in either of those
    Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe, Pixar/Disney
    TV: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Daredevil .. i think Leverage is kind of geeky, Firefly though nowhere near as much as most people; i also like older seasons of Once Upon a Time and parts of series 1-4 of Doctor Who.
    Webcomics: Order of the Stick, Girl Genius, Gunnerkrigg Court, xkcd, Lackadaisy Cats, Inverloch (complete), The Phoenix Requiem (complete), Digger (complete), 8-Bit Theatre (which is complete but i haven't read all of)
    Web video: Red vs Blue

Not sure if any of those are too "mainstream" to count as geeky.

I also watch a few Let's Players (Achievement Hunter, Markiplier, Cryaotic). I have a slight interest in tabletop RPGing, but don't know anyone in the area who would be open to it and hesitant to explore - might not have enough time or money at present, either. I'm an aspiring writer of fantasy, and have uploaded a few pieces to websites.

Me loooove Skyrim! 320+ hours logged so far!
    Also love KOTOR!
    I'm watching the flip side of Rooster Teeth these days. (The Patch and The Know channel). Those guys do great stuff!
    Welcome to the forums!!

www.spiritblade.com

Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 791
    Geek-Cred : 44

Post  Nathan James Norman on December 1st 2015, 9:41 pm

Morfinwen wrote:

Morfinwen - Elvish, meaning "dark-haired maiden". A bit generic, but it's an older username i have enough fondness for to keep using.

Okay... if that is generic, then I think you're plenty geeky enough to hang with this crowd! lol!

ComiKate

Activity : 366
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate on December 6th 2015, 1:02 pm

Welcome Morfinwen!

Great to have another dark-haired maiden on the forums afro cheers

jazzact13

Activity : 186

Post  jazzact13 on March 19th 2016, 1:19 am

Hello, new guy here. Name's Audie.

Most of my geekiness is wrapped up in a fondness for anime and manga. Enjoying "Erased", a nice mix of time travel and murder mystery. Waiting for "Shippuden" to get past its latest batch of filler, and wishing "One Piece" would please please please finish the Dressrosa arc before the decade ends. Probably the thing I'm waiting on most is the movie for "A Silent Voice", which I think will come out late this year.

I've gotten through the main stories of "Morrowind" and "Oblivion", still working on "Skyrim".

Anyway, hello, again, and good to be on board.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:27 am

Current date/time is December 9th 2016, 10:27 am